This was a royal pain in the butt. It had been previously coated with, only you older guys will remember - 1960's antiqueing kits. They were the latest rage at the time and a nightmare to strip off. Anyway, the customer wanted it stripped and refinished. After stripping I realized what they had.
I did not use any stains except for touch-up powders on the appliques and on the poplar edge trim. These appliques were dense with no grain pattern and had to be 'painted'. Poplar, well, poplar is poplar and also had to be painted. Everything else was just clear coated.
Lots of touch-up and grain painting also was needed.