Shop Tour

Jay Brewer

Hi everyone, havent posted here much, but love the shop tours, today has been raining and cold so it was a perfect day to clean the shop a little and take few pics, its basically half of a full basment, the other half of the basement is finished w/den and bedroom, that is outdated and will soon be taken over as a spray booth and assembly room, but until then this is what I have to work with.

The saw, shaper and wide belt are the most used tools by far, so I arranged them in the middle of the space, with the saw getting a whole bay to its self, with the outrigger romoved, I get a decent sized assembly area

Shop Tour (600 x 451).jpg

This pic is from one garage door looking in, the outfeed table serves as storage for the shaper

Shop Tour 001 (600 x 451).jpg

This is the other side of the shop, these tools get used less so they are positioneded against the wall

Shop Tour 002 (600 x 451).jpg

I buy all my lumber S2S so the planer is the least used tool in the shop, so I mounted it on a lift cart to save space

[Shop Tour 003 (600 x 451).jpg

Shop Tour 004 (600 x 451).jpg

Thanks for looking

WOW!! Nice setup Jay.:thumb: That's quite a large Basement you have there too. With that equipment, I'll bet you're on the "Valued Customer" list at the "Electron Factory" too.:D

Now we need to see some Projects from there.:thumb:

Wow and double WOW! That is some serious stuff you have there...very nice and Thanks for the shop tour......did I mention...WOW!

another one of the pros shows up

well you got a veryLARGE understanding on the wood working trade,, i wont bother to clean my dungeon for any one to see cause you got more dust in your clean shop than i could hold in my dungeon,, just one question what is tha large blue framed piece next to your edge sander. nice tour and thanks for the display.

No skimping on the equipment I can tell. It appears as though you specialize in a particular type of work. Any hints as to what type of building you mostly deal in?

Thanks for the pictures.

Allen

No skimping on the equipment I can tell. It appears as though you specialize in a particular type of work. Any hints as to what type of building you mostly deal in?

Thanks for the pictures.

Allen

Thanks everyone for the complements. Allen, I build custom cabinets, alot of raised panel doors, entertainment centers, anything that brings a little money in, I currently am building part time with a full time job, hoping in a couple years I can go full time.

Larry, the table you are referring to is a Kreg face frame table, makes assembling face frames a snap, its currently the only cabinet I build until I can get an edgebander, hopefully this spring, thanks again

Kreg table 001 (600 x 451).jpg

Kreg table 002 (600 x 451).jpg

Jay,
You seem to be in the same situation as I currently am except I was full time at one point. Do yourself a favor keep the day job as long as you can and continue to do the ww'g full part time...you make way more money that way. Well I will not comment on certain machine choices ;) :D but would like to hear your thoughts on your Bridgewood widelbelt.

Jay,
You seem to be in the same situation as I currently am except I was full time at one point. Do yourself a favor keep the day job as long as you can and continue to do the ww'g full part time...you make way more money that way. Well I will not comment on certain machine choices ;) :D but would like to hear your thoughts on your Bridgewood widelbelt.

Hi Paul, I figured I had a few tools you wouldnt like :) . The widebelt has met my expectations and then some, great for leveling RP doors,and glue ups but I also run boards through on edge, rail and stiles, face frames, never had a problem with it not coming out square. I wanted a 37" but just didnt have the room, 95% of what I build will go through the 25". The digital posioning is very accurate and easy to use. It didnt bother me buying asian on this one, they have been building this for about 20 years, so I knew it was a solid design.There is better wide belts out there but no were near $7k unless you buy used. I stepped up from a drum sander and there is a night and day difference between the two. Would not want to go back, hope this helps.

Very nice Jay, very nice!

Felder looks like good gear, never seen any in person but if I get a shaper the model you have will be on the short list.

Lucky for us edgebanders have shrunk substantially over the years. ;)

Thanks for the post.

Thanks everyone for the complements. Allen, I build custom cabinets, alot of raised panel doors, entertainment centers, anything that brings a little money in, I currently am building part time with a full time job, hoping in a couple years I can go full time.

Larry, the table you are referring to is a Kreg face frame table, makes assembling face frames a snap, its currently the only cabinet I build until I can get an edgebander, hopefully this spring, thanks again

View attachment 4169

View attachment 4170

Nice shop Jay. I like the way you have everything layed out. What type of edgebander are you thinking of getting? They can be a little overwhemling at first because there are so many adjustments. I have a Brandt 330 and will do up to 3mm.

Doug

Nice shop Jay. I like the way you have everything layed out. What type of edgebander are you thinking of getting? They can be a little overwhemling at first because there are so many adjustments. I have a Brandt 330 and will do up to 3mm.

Doug

Thanks Doug, though I would love a large glue pot like yours, because of money and space its probably going to be a hot air machine for me ( Felder or Mini Max ) which ever one I get a better deal on. I primarily build raised panel doors, so the bander will sit alot and when it is used will be short runs.
I have read that most banders are finicky machines, and I still havent figured out how to finish the egde banding without getting the finish all over the inside of the cabinet, maybe you could shed some light on this? These two issues have keep me from purchasing one so far.

Thanks Doug, though I would love a large glue pot like yours, because of money and space its probably going to be a hot air machine for me ( Felder or Mini Max ) which ever one I get a better deal on. I primarily build raised panel doors, so the bander will sit alot and when it is used will be short runs.
I have read that most banders are finicky machines, and I still havent figured out how to finish the egde banding without getting the finish all over the inside of the cabinet, maybe you could shed some light on this? These two issues have keep me from purchasing one so far.

Your right about edgebanders being finicky. They do require a lot of attention to detail. I just had my the company that installed my machine(Stiles) come out and go over everything again because there's so much to learn. I now feel I have a pretty good understanding of the machine. The one thing that I feel my machine could do better is the end cut off feature. I was advised in some situations to band the part first then cut to length so it will make a perfect fit to the adjoining panel.

If your going to be building euro boxes like I am, most of your edge will be covered up by your door if you do a full overlay door. I have been told to use a PVC tape(edgebanding) thats .018" thick or .5 mm that will match the color of the cabinets stain. Then you don't have to worry about staining anything on the box of the cabinet except maybe moulding, crown and lower moulding for light rail. This process will work good for the melamines.

My machine heats the glue to 200 celcius and once the banding is on it stays there. Make sure whatever bander you get it keeps the banding on there.

I have a friend that has a pretty good size shop and does alot of kitchens and commercail work. He has 4 employees and stays pretty busy. He has an old hot melt brandt. The end trimming fuction doesn't work and niether does the top and bottom trim. All it does is put the banding on. Then he uses the blades out of a hand plane and trims the banding from the panel top and bottom manually then cuts the part to size on his slider. He does a lot of work this way. This might be a way to go as the hot melts are really the only way to edge band. You might be able to find a good used one. I haven't heard a lot of good things about the hot air style.

Doug

Last edited: