Shop Tour

Jay,
In my so humble opinion, save your money, use for other purchases or whatever, but do not waste your money on a edge bander. If you keep this part time, you can afford the little extra time it costs to do your own edge banding (solid wood like I do or heat sensitive strips). If you are doing only boxes, full time, than that is a different story. An edge bander is such a highly specialized machine, one function and thats all. It sounds like you do different types of projects too so it is a machine that may sit around and not do much.

Old used banders can be, probably are, finicky. The machines have improved and a good new edge bander shouldn't be finicky. Regardless I've found it best to let one person and only one person change settings on a bander.

Brandt make pretty nice banders. It should end trim properly. I think my position would be make it work or make it go away. ;)

I'd pass on a hot air bander if for no other reason then the selection of banding available for hot air machines is quite limited compared to unglued edging. I'm not the only one, my MM dealer has sold several glue pot but no hot air machines.

FWIW I like Holz Her banders, something like the 1302 or 1305-1 may find it's way into my shop. The Holz Her cartridge or granupress glue system flat out rocks!

Thanks Doug, Paul and Ed for the advice, I have heard alot of bad things about hot air machines, but that was top end of what I was willing to spend on one. Even at 10K those things are not cheap, so I will take your advice and wait.

Doug, I have seen the prefinished edgebanding, and I know there are a ton of different colors, but how do match your doors to it, trial and error, or is there a predetermined finishing schedule for it.

Doug, I have seen the prefinished edgebanding, and I know there are a ton of different colors, but how do match your doors to it, trial and error, or is there a predetermined finishing schedule for it.[/QUOTE]

You need to have your client pick out their stain first. Then you match it as close as possible. Yes it is trial and error.This is what I'm doing for a job right now.

Like I said most of the edge will be covered with the door when closed. If your customer doesn't like the idea of PVC tape or not matching exactly then it would be better off to go with the real wood tape. But then you have to deal with the staining and mess of keeping it off the cabinet.

I don't do any staining or finishing...that's a whole other profession. Come to think of it I don't understand why guys will do their own finishing but not build their own doors?:dunno:

Just my two cents...

Doug