Thread: Inspired by Dan

Inspired by Dan

I saw some of Dan's finials and decided I wanted to try one myself... this was inspired by his work..

This is box elder with a walnut collar and a dogwood finial. Finished in sanding sealer and wipe on polyurethane.

Thanks Dan for the inspiration
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 008.JPG   Picture 009.JPG   Picture 014.JPG  
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I saw some of Dan's finials and decided I wanted to try one myself... this was inspired by his work..

This is box elder with a walnut collar and a dogwood finial. Finished in sanding sealer and wipe on polyurethane.

Thanks Dan for the inspiration
    Chuck nice work. If you don't mind me saying, but i think it needs to be thinner. I try to made them about a 1/8 to 3/16 at the thinnest pont. don't always happen but that is what i try for. keep at it and you will not want to make anything else, like me.I love making them even if i keep blowing some of them a part.
    Steve

Great piece Chuck!! I can't do finials, but IMHO, it looks a little clunky. The vessel is simply outstanding ...a little more delicate finial may draw more attention to the form
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Great looking form Chuck!
    I really like your finials.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Well done, Chuck. The different elements in the finial work together well. It looks like you put some thought into the placement of the various parts. You also did a good job of keeping the details pretty sharp. It's real easy to sand away sharpness if you're not careful, and it looks like you were careful.

I agree with the suggestions to try making it a bit thinner, but that comes in time...I'm still working on that aspect myself. Keep 'em coming.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey im glad that it inspired you......I think you will like turning them once you make more.........I made my first ones thick to and people really liked them alot..........then made some very thin, fragile and tall and I spent alot of time on a couple of them......then one day my wife was dusting and knocked one down and it broke......she thought it was my fault because i made it so thin and fragile..................I have alot of fun turning finials now when I do my vessels and glad to hear your getting into it....I like the dark collar on your vessel......thumbs up........Dan
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................