Inspired by Dan

Chuck Ellis

I saw some of Dan's finials and decided I wanted to try one myself... this was inspired by his work..

This is box elder with a walnut collar and a dogwood finial. Finished in sanding sealer and wipe on polyurethane.

Thanks Dan for the inspiration

Attachments

• Picture 008.JPG
    Picture 008.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Picture 009.JPG
    Picture 009.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 014.JPG
    Picture 014.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 16
I saw some of Dan's finials and decided I wanted to try one myself... this was inspired by his work..

This is box elder with a walnut collar and a dogwood finial. Finished in sanding sealer and wipe on polyurethane.

Thanks Dan for the inspiration

Chuck nice work.:thumb: If you don't mind me saying, but i think it needs to be thinner. I try to made them about a 1/8 to 3/16 at the thinnest pont. don't always happen but that is what i try for. keep at it and you will not want to make anything else, like me.:rofl:I love making them even if i keep blowing some of them a part.:rofl:
Steve

Great piece Chuck!! I can't do finials, but IMHO, it looks a little clunky. The vessel is simply outstanding :bow::bow:...a little more delicate finial may draw more attention to the form :wave:

Well done, Chuck. :thumb: The different elements in the finial work together well. It looks like you put some thought into the placement of the various parts. You also did a good job of keeping the details pretty sharp. It's real easy to sand away sharpness if you're not careful, and it looks like you were careful.

I agree with the suggestions to try making it a bit thinner, but that comes in time...I'm still working on that aspect myself. Keep 'em coming.

Hey im glad that it inspired you......I think you will like turning them once you make more.........I made my first ones thick to and people really liked them alot..........then made some very thin, fragile and tall and I spent alot of time on a couple of them......then one day my wife was dusting and knocked one down and it broke......she thought it was my fault because i made it so thin and fragile.....:eek:.............I have alot of fun turning finials now when I do my vessels and glad to hear your getting into it....I like the dark collar on your vessel......thumbs up........Dan