Guess what this is .

Don Baer

Staff member
attachment.php

Hint: picture was taken in 1956...
Answer below...

It's a hard disk drive back in 1956... with 5 MB of storage.

Attachments

• Big disk drive.jpg
    Big disk drive.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 105
How about punch cards. When I was in college we used the oonly computer on canpas for our physics classes and it used punch cards and it ran on fortran...:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I was in college we didn't use punched cards... but there still was a punch card machine in the terminal room, and my buddy and I figured out how to work it, so we punched out a bunch of cards, collected all the chads (It amounted to only about 3"x3"x1" in volume) and scattered them around a girls' dorm room. It was beautiful, way better than toilet paper. They were still finding those things months later. :rolleyes:

I worked for TWA from the 1965 until 1976... we shipped a lot of computers out of the Bay area.. Silicon Valley... the controlers looked like 25 cu.ft. refridgerators and the disc drives were about the size of a washing machine... we could put two controllers and 4 disc drives in an aircraft pallet.

Later while working for a forwarder in Sunnyvale, we shipped the computer that Scotland yard bought from Amdahl... it took a 40 foot container to load all the components...

And to think 'In the early 1940s, IBM's president, Thomas J Watson, reputedly said: "I think there is a world market for about five computers."'