Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router adquisition question

Router adquisition question

Hi guys.

I'm thinking about buying a Porter Cable 3-1/4 HP Five-Speed Router, Model #7518 from U.S. as I can't find it here and its price is far cheaper than a similar power model from Dewalt or other brand.
    Besides I will be able to use both european and US bits on it as it has collets for all types.

The only drawbacks would be that I will need a transformer from 220V to 125V ( no big deal) and that there will be no easy posibility of getting it repaired in case it breaks down, although I can fix it myself if I can get the spares from U.S. which I think is possible.

Together with it I'd like to buy a router lift to use with it and make a router table, the whole deal would go for about 700$ plus shipping.

What do you think? is it a good router? will it be a pain to need the transformer each time I use it?

I'm dubious, so any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

ok as for router lifts go toni check out woodpeckers, for the money i think they are the best the router is good but glenn bradley swears as to the durability of his milwaukees and tod uses porter cable and milwaukee stuff..the router table can be made but sometimes its just as easy to purchase it already made..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Toni speaking from having had to go from 220v to 120v i have no problem with running some things off a transformer.

I have smaller 2 1/2 hp porter cable variable speed router that i use in my homemade table but wish i had a bigger one.

I have been watching and reading and i would go with Milwaukee too.

As to lifts i currently use the built in lift on the base for my router but its a pain. Would love a lift like Larry mentioned. PM Stu he just recently went through the whole process of fitting two routers to his saw stop bench combination. I cannot remember what he settled for. One i think he had and the other was new.

Be ware the value engineering boys have got hold of Porter Cable recently so I aint got the perception of their kit that i used to have.

best of luck. Wish you needed a 120v to 220v transformer, i have a spare i would have been more than happy to ship you.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    best of luck. Wish you needed a 120v to 220v transformer, i have a spare i would have been more than happy to ship you.

Rob, The transformer does care weather it used as a step uip or a step down. All he needs to do is wire the 220 to the output and he'll get the 110 on the input side.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Here ya go Toni, here's a router

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5625...031161&sr=1-13

and here's a lift.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-1...6031255&sr=1-1

Just have it shipped to one of us and we can forward it to ya.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

No Don this unit is not just a transformer and the sockets etc are on it for our flat spade receptacles. Nice try though.

Oh Don since you brought up the Bench dog the element that they have which i think is neat is this baby big space saver and a router table that will not sag.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-1...ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Just cannot imagine what shipping to Spain would be though Toni. Though they might have someone set up as distribution in Europe somewhere maybe the UK.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 06-08-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    No Don this unit is not just a transformer and the sockets etc are on it for our flat spade receptacles. Nice try though.
    Ohh My Bad

I picked up the Milwaukee with the woodpecker lift based on Stu's recommendation. (His is not Woodpecker but the same in another box). I've not put them in a table yet - still have to build that - but I must say I'm impressed with both.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

another thing to watch for is that the lift will fit the router you are getting this bench dog didnt mention the milwaukee and it also says the adapters are extra..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've had the 7518 in the original style Woodpecker PRL and it has been great. No issues with the router at all, and just recently had an issue with the lift. Sent it in to Woodpecker and it came back in about 9 days working perfectly again (It was hard to crank up and down). You might see if Amazon is offering any specials on the 7518. Even look for motor only if you are only going to use it in a lift. My base just sits in a cabinet gathering dust. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3