Router adquisition question

Hi guys.

I'm thinking about buying a Porter Cable 3-1/4 HP Five-Speed Router, Model #7518 from U.S. as I can't find it here and its price is far cheaper than a similar power model from Dewalt or other brand.
Besides I will be able to use both european and US bits on it as it has collets for all types.

The only drawbacks would be that I will need a transformer from 220V to 125V ( no big deal) and that there will be no easy posibility of getting it repaired in case it breaks down, although I can fix it myself if I can get the spares from U.S. which I think is possible.

Together with it I'd like to buy a router lift to use with it and make a router table, the whole deal would go for about 700$ plus shipping.

What do you think? is it a good router? will it be a pain to need the transformer each time I use it?

I'm dubious, so any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ok as for router lifts go toni check out woodpeckers, for the money i think they are the best the router is good but glenn bradley swears as to the durability of his milwaukees and tod uses porter cable and milwaukee stuff..the router table can be made but sometimes its just as easy to purchase it already made..

Toni speaking from having had to go from 220v to 120v i have no problem with running some things off a transformer.

I have smaller 2 1/2 hp porter cable variable speed router that i use in my homemade table but wish i had a bigger one.

I have been watching and reading and i would go with Milwaukee too.:)

As to lifts i currently use the built in lift on the base for my router but its a pain. Would love a lift like Larry mentioned. PM Stu he just recently went through the whole process of fitting two routers to his saw stop bench combination. I cannot remember what he settled for. One i think he had and the other was new.

Be ware the value engineering boys have got hold of Porter Cable recently so I aint got the perception of their kit that i used to have.

best of luck. Wish you needed a 120v to 220v transformer, i have a spare i would have been more than happy to ship you.:D

No Don this unit is not just a transformer and the sockets etc are on it for our flat spade receptacles.:) Nice try though.:thumb:

Oh Don since you brought up the Bench dog the element that they have which i think is neat is this baby big space saver and a router table that will not sag.
http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-102-ProMax-Extension/dp/B001TDLSUS/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Just cannot imagine what shipping to Spain would be though Toni. Though they might have someone set up as distribution in Europe somewhere maybe the UK.

Last edited:
I picked up the Milwaukee with the woodpecker lift based on Stu's recommendation. (His is not Woodpecker but the same in another box). I've not put them in a table yet - still have to build that - but I must say I'm impressed with both.

another thing to watch for is that the lift will fit the router you are getting this bench dog didnt mention the milwaukee and it also says the adapters are extra..

I've had the 7518 in the original style Woodpecker PRL and it has been great. No issues with the router at all, and just recently had an issue with the lift. Sent it in to Woodpecker and it came back in about 9 days working perfectly again (It was hard to crank up and down). You might see if Amazon is offering any specials on the 7518. Even look for motor only if you are only going to use it in a lift. My base just sits in a cabinet gathering dust. Jim.

I picked up the Milwaukee with the woodpecker lift based on Stu's recommendation. (His is not Woodpecker but the same in another box). I've not put them in a table yet - still have to build that - but I must say I'm impressed with both.

+1 on the Milwaukee & Woodpecker combination!

As Larry states, the Bench Dog will not take a Mil 5625. It will take a 7518 and both are good products. As mentioned, I went with the Mil 5625 and the PRL-v1 with the automatic carriage lock. According to all reports, the PRL-v2 does not need to be manually locked to be stable but the lock is there if you want to use it. The v2 has the quick release feature and the tool-less fine adjust which is very cool. I would think you would be happy with any of those products.

Thanks guys, any of you having one or both of them could tell me their weight? so I could figure out shipping costs?

After that I'll need to make up my mind:eek:

From Milwaukee's site:
5625=
Voltage 120 AC
Max HP 3.5
No Load Speed 10,000-22,000 RPM
Collet Dia 1/4 in.-1/2 in.
Amps 15.0
Cord Type 8 ft. Fixed
Construction Type Double Insulated
Switch Type Rocker
Dial Speed Control Yes
Handle Style Twin D-Handles
Electronic Feedback Yes
Depth Adj Range 1-21/32 in.
Sub Base Dia 7 in.
Height 9-1/4 in.
Tool Weight 11.8 lbs.
Shipping Weight 15.4 lbs.

From Porter Cable's site
7518 with base =
# Power: 120 VAC, 60 HZ
# HP: 3-1/4 HP
# Amps: 15 Amps
# No Load Speed: Soft starting 5 speed at 10,000, 13,000, 16,000, 19,000, and 21,000 rpm
# Motor Diameter: 4.2 "
# Collets: 1/2 "
# Base: 7" Round
# Switch:
# Length: 11 "
# Width: 7 "
# Height: 11 "
# Weight: 14.5 lbs
# Shipping Weight: 19.4 lbs