Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building the Ambo (lecturn, podium) - Final Picture

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Building the Ambo (lecturn, podium) - Final Picture

Well since they've finaly set a date for completion of the church I need to get busy finishing up the rest of the furniture for the commision. I have completed the chairs and table next I'll build the Ambo or as most know it the podium. I'll build it to look like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amo final design.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	46148It will have the dove that Toni carved for me on the front after I bleach it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1569.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	46145 I am having trouble getting ahold of the sodium hydroxide to use for the bleaching, seems that it is an ingrediant used in meth labs and is now a controled chemical. I picked up 20 bd ft of hard maple today, I still need to go back and pick up another ten when they get there shipment in later this week, they were all out of 8/4, said someone took it all this morning before I got there. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1568.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	46147 This will get me started. Here is a drawing of all the components that will go into the finished product. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ambo Cut list.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	46149
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-29-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

you gonna use maple ply for the panels, or all solid woods?

(wish you were closer, I got tons of 8/4 maple, the boat guy emptied his supply on me when he moved)

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    you gonna use maple ply for the panels, or all solid woods?

(wish you were closer, I got tons of 8/4 maple, the boat guy emptied his supply on me when he moved)
    It'll all be solid wood Allen, Yea I wood take it off your hands in a hillbilley's heart beat. Also going to use some 12/4 on the altar.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

looking foward to seeing it come together. gonna be pretty heavy all solid maple.

This is gonna be great Don. I'll look forward to hitching along for the ride.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Looking forward to see it finished Don! as per the bleach, check this link, http://www.rustins.co.uk/ and look for wood bleach, I think that they have distributors in US, or you can buy it on line. (Don't know the price though)
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Taking a break to cool off the shop temperature is 100. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1571.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	46160I got most of the wood cut to ruff size and planed I Edge join next and start the glue ups. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1570.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	46159The pile on the right is both side panels the center pile is the desk and the left pile is one of the two shelves.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 06-09-2010 at 08:56 PM.

I wouldn't be in the shop if it was that hot either!

Looks like a nice days worth of work.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Taking a break to cool off the shop temperature is 100...
    But it's a dry heat, Don!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    But it's a dry heat, Don!
    That right so I'm sweating a dry swaet..