Catalpa Bowl

Mark Cothren

First experience with this wood. It was not a pleasurable experience until I put the oil on the bowl and saw the color and grain pop. Up until then I had decided (and I'm pretty sure I still feel this way) I won't be turning any more of it. The wood was about halfway dry when I roughed it and still everywhere shavings touched metal it rusted. I don't mean just light surface rust - I mean almost corrosive! Anyway, lesson learned. The bowl ended up 16-1/2" wide and 7-1/2" deep.

CatalpaBowl02.jpg

CatalpaBowl01.jpg

CatalpaBowl.jpg

Nice looking but I hear you on the .........

"Won't be turning much of this wood again"

.......... exactly how I feel about the Japanese Elm I have.....

:wave:

Fine-looking bowl there, Mark. :thumb: Very pretty wood, even if you don't like working with it. (I've got some of those, too.)

Out of curiosity, where'd you get that short white bucket I see in the last pic? :p

BTW, real men don't whine and complain when they get a little rust in the shop. :rofl:

Vaughn, I got that bucket from Mike Stafford back a few years ago. He had come across them somewhere - I believe they were used for something in the food industry. It has a lock ring that seals it up. I keep my alcohol in there, as you probably guessed.

Vaughn, I got that bucket from Mike Stafford back a few years ago. He had come across them somewhere - I believe they were used for something in the food industry. It has a lock ring that seals it up. I keep my alcohol in there, as you probably guessed.

Oh, it really is a short bucket. :doh:Here I thought it was a 5 gallon bucket nearly up to its neck in shavings. I guess your shop's cleaner than I thought. :p