Canadians take note of gouging

Rob Keeble

I know i am beating a drum here but call this my one man campaign to expose the blatant gouging of tool suppliers in Canada.

We just see Grizzly launch the new polar bear tools right

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1-HP-Bandsaw-Polar-Bear-Series/G0555P

and just in case we think its the white special of the year here is the Grizzly Green version
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0555

See what we have to contend with here

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT015N

Same machines different color.

as they say

You be the judge!

Last time i checked we were not a third world country with a currency that weak that it justified a 50% difference in the price.:bang::mad:

Yes Rob but what are the shipping costs to get the grizzly machine into canada as well the busy bee machine would be CSA certified and that does cost money to do. Grizzly would be ULC which is recognised in Canada too but I am sure cost less in the states. These could just be a few factors that cause the increase in pricing as well as the fluctuation and differences in the currency.

I just heard on the news this morning that when the HST tax is introduced into BC, Washington state will be dropping the collection of the state tax on products bought by BC residents. with the exception of food and resturants. So I am waiting untill Jully 1st to go shopping at Grizzly. New band saw is looking good, just wish that it had a brake on it.

I hear ya Drew but i have been a manufacturer and exporter of product to both the USA and Canada before, and my products all needed to go through all the approvals for each of the countries. 50% is way over the top and these guys hedge themselves from currency fluctuations or they would never last. Dont feel sorry for them, its a free market.

Here is another one if you gonna go to Grizz.

Good old HD Canada Irwin clamps

versus

Grizz http://www.grizzly.com/products/T20545

I recently ordered these they are handy clamps to have around at that price.:D

I feel alike Rob, just had a look at Festool router model EB2200, just to give you an idea of tool prices here:

Spain price= 1180.88€ at a 1.20 exchange rate that means 1416 US $

USA price= 800$

Just to give you an idea, a blue collar worker without qualification gets that as a monthly salary and some even less...
No comments:(

Last edited:
Rob,
I agree with what you are saying. I just checked my Lowes flyer add they have 4 of those clamps for $28.98. Just trying to help you get a better deal. I don't know if you have a Lowes close by. It's cheaper then HD for sure.

Stephan

...I just heard on the news this morning that when the HST tax is introduced into BC, Washington state will be dropping the collection of the state tax on products bought by BC residents...

Okay, as a sometimes visitor to the upper ten provinces :)D) I'm familiar with PST and GST, but what's the HST? A new one on me - at least until my next visit later this Summer.

Okay, as a sometimes visitor to the upper ten provinces :)D) I'm familiar with PST and GST, but what's the HST? A new one on me - at least until my next visit later this Summer.

Jim it is the new Harmonized sales tax that is replacing the 7% provincial sales tax and the 5% GST. It will have the one tax HST at 12% . This is only in Ontario and BC so far.

Last edited:
Rob, a buddy that lives in Ontario was telling me what the pricing was on certain tile saws and tools...I was really amazed that even accounting for the currency conversion, some of these tools were DOUBLE the price in Canada. My 5% Virginia sales tax versus your 12% HST really adds on to the total.:(

Yeah Rennie then you gotta add the 13% call it what you like tax. But i will say this we get something for our taxes here.:) I dont complain about taxes in Canada compared to what i used to pay in SA.:D

Yeah Drew that can be neat too. I found an online musical instrument store and ordered some Xmas presents for my boys once when they had free shipping and scored an 8% saving besides their great price. Some of that kind of thing is going to change though for the people ordering from outside a province that has HST cause they aint gonna get away with the PST component anymore.

The good news is for business it becomes the same as Vat you get the whole lot back which lowers costs for companies especially when you take a total path from raw material to finished goods sales.