Hard to tell. I knew I used FWW review of Hollow Chisel Mortisers to make my decision on the one I bought. It seemed like a pretty fair review. In this day and age though, it's so easy to use google to find 'real' peoples reviews of products. So I made sure that I did a good check on it before I bought it.
My purchase steps are :
- Use one of the in-depth type of comparison reviews to bring me up to speed on what features the machine has, what ones are desirable, and what isn't.
- Spend some quality time on Google finding other peoples opinions.
- Check out the reviews on Amazon.com, if available. I find though that if an item pretty good, the negative reviews are usually from someone with an axe to grind of some sort.
- Hide my credit card for a few days
- Think about if I really need/want it, will use it etc...
- Do the research again
- And then if I still think I need/want it, will probably order the one I originally settled on, which may or may not be the top rated tool depending on price/features.
Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash