Aspen bowl

Don Baer

Staff member
I traded some Eucalytus for a few pieces of Aspen. Yesterday while I was turning at the Craft Fair I chucked it up and turned this bowl. Aspen is not the most fun to turn but the color amasing. The wall thickness is about 3/64th. I finished the bottom today and started finishing it. It still need some sanding and a few more coats but I wanted to post some pictures.

It measure 4 1/2" dia and 2 3/4 high. Notice the green in the first picture.

I guess I got a little thin on the bottom, I just looked at the bowl and the bottom of the bowl which was flat now has a dimple in it pointing out. It to thin to do anything with so I guess it will have to sit a little crooked :( . This thing is so thin that you can see light through it if you hold it up to a light.:D

Attachments

• Aspen 2.jpg
    Aspen 2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Aspen 1.jpg
    Aspen 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The figure looks great!

The flamed figure looks great. I've always thought that aspen was plain white, like poplar, with maybe having hints of yellowish color. Is this a different species than the usually lumber you see?

Gari,
I have no idea. I ran into a turner at the Chandler woodcraft store and he was trying to get the local manager to buy some turning blanks from him and when we were leaving he affered me a few pieces. I happened to have some eucalytus with me so we traded. He was from Colorado.

Hey Don, that is sure nice looking wood!

I used to try to do the thin thing, but the LOML asked me to stop it, as she did not want to use any of them thin bowls, she is afraid she will drop one and break it, so now mine all stay above 1/4" or so.

Great looking bowl!:D