Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slowing down the speed???

slowing down the speed???

i ran into a question last night from a woodworker that could use some of the forums help..he doesnt do computers so i am caring the ball for him... he has a 5 hp edge sander that he feels runs to fast, its burning up his paper and wood and he wants to have a variable speed or a slower speed for it.. the motor is 220V and single phase.. they make lathes that have variable speed so it must be possible anyone got some solutions as to how he can do this...thanks
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Change the belt and quite pushing so hard. It's a sander not a grinder.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

i thought the same thing chuck on pushing to hard, but i didnt say that.. but he seems to know what he is doing and this isnt his first rodeo

If it is not direct drive, then just change one of the pulleys to a different size

If it is direct drive, then he has a lot larger task ahead of him, what make/brand is it?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

it is direct drive and i didnt recognize the brand ,,its american though ,,he did mention that its a commercial brand and a small size for commercial work.. cream colored..

I've never run one of these machines but all the trouble I've ever heard or read about this type of sander was because the operator tried to sand off to much material in one pass "using it like a planer".
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Larry, in answer to your question you can't do a variable speed drive on a single phase motor. I won't go into the reason why because it's very complicated. Only a three phase motor. Since it's direct drive and since it's a comercial unit I'd say it's the operator.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 06-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Side note: So many of us want slower sanders and grinders. You would think there would be a market for this. I too would like to be able to use finer paper on a power sander but slow stock removal and burning risk come along with that. I vote for slower speed or VS on commercial units.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Variable speed can be done on the units if they have a universal motor, if it's an induction motor it must be 3 phase. Universal motors are the ones with brushes.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ...they make lathes that have variable speed so it must be possible anyone got some solutions as to how he can do this...thanks
    The variable speed motors on lathes like my PM are three phase. Those can be slowed down, but as Don said, a single phase motor can't be slowed down in a practical manner. (Well, he said they can be slowed down, but I'm pretty sure he meant can't.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com