Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Pen----Now Second

First Pen----Now Second

Well the pen swap got my interest, I had intended to try this for years but never found time. So with the swap blanks arriving I got enthused again. So I used a cherry blank I bought several years ago at PSI and set a mandrel upon the little HF micro metal lathe I bought this March on close out for $80.00. Used a brazed carbide metal bit and went at it..

Slimline kit bought several years ago at PSI with old BLO and some medium CA for the finish.

I realize it isn't art or much craftsmanship. But it was fun, the wife is impressed and it may even go as a gift this weekend.

Now to get a wood tool post so I an easily add some curves in the future...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0002.JPG   IMG_0003.JPG  
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 06-11-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Alright! Doesn't matter if it's a metal lathe or a cordless drill with a mandrel in the chuck...you turned a nice pen. And it sounds like the vortex has started pulling you in already.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That's how it works Garry, and great pen out of the deal!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Yer addicted.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Great pen Garry
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Hey Garry,
    That's a great looking Slimeline.
    Well done.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

That is an excellent start Garry. I see bowls and a bigger lathe in your future.

Second Pen

Well I went on to number two. Another PSI slimline from the past and Olive Wood I ordered from Israel via Ebay a couple months ago. Learned to check pre-drilled blanks as I got the epoxy on and the tubes wouldn't go in without a lot of persuasion. Created problems all the way through the process including a small split when pressing in the mechanism. Was fun and a learning experience, I also learned I will get a pen mill, in fact ordered one this AM off Ebay from Australia with 6 cutters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0007.JPG  

You are doing fine, Gary. But, personally, I wouldn't waste a nice wood like Bethlehem Olive wood a/k/a BOW on a Slimline.
    Where do you live? If possible order your parts and equipment from known source like Craft Supplies. You mentioned Australia. Do you live there?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank
    No I live in Pa....

I understand what you are saying but these pens are what I had, and I wasn't in the mood to wait. Don't know when I will stop real fix-up projects and get back to this. I was in field service more or less and used to visit a couple of places near PSI. So at lunch or in the evening when staying over I would run by. Over the years picked up some stuff with the idea I would make some pens. Never happened but I retired almost a year ago and with the pen swap box arriving it got me enthused so I was making hay while the sun shined so to speak. I have probably bought 50 blanks over the years and made more but never got around to turning a pen. I will use some better kits someday but now using the little metal lathe these slimlines are the best suited for the equipment. I do have everything I need for the Shopsmith to turn now, so I may drag it out one of these days. In fact one of the real drivers is that I want to make a couple of fat pens for the wife as she has problems with the skinny ones. I have a couple of Big Ben kits that again I bought years ago. But I need to make a tool rest for this little micro lathe or drag out the Shopsmith to do them.. In either case much more setup time required.

But it will happen...
    I am sure the gentleman I plan plan on give this olive wood pen to will value it highly, as it will be a statement as to what he has meant to me over the years....Spirtually not about woodwork..

Thanks for the input..

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 06-12-2010 at 12:06 AM.