Identifying Wood

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
http://verydemotivational.com/2010/06/10/demotivational-posters-yep/

129201208635325850.jpg

Yeah has to be posted by other than a woodworker.:) Ok how do we blitz that site for mocking us.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I happen to have that book and its quiet educational and very helpful.

Allen given your struggle with identifying the various oaks if you see this, this book would help you except you would need to be able to see through a loupe. Its helped me before and its really fascinating how its done.

+1 on the book -2000000 on the site that desecrated it. :D;)

Good one Brent.:thumb:

Last edited:
There is a guy in Baltimore who if you send him a sliver he can tell you what the wood is. I have charts on the doors around the shop so the guys will learn also. They helped me many years ago to learn fast.

There is a guy in Baltimore who if you send him a sliver he can tell you what the wood is. I have charts on the doors around the shop so the guys will learn also. They helped me many years ago to learn fast.

hey dave, i got a large sliver that i would like to know the species it is..so either you or a address is fine.. pm with info.. its really old wood.late 17oo's or early 1800'S

I had this piece of wood in the pile I was looking at for over a year, just not able to place it, not dark enough to be anything I recognized, and certainly not one of the white woods Im used too.
I kept tossing it back to the top of the pile, and when I redid the lumber rack a month ago, I discovered someone wrote on the side of it in sharpie marker, chestnut. It took me over a year to discover the board was marked clearly.

Chestnut or white wall nut, may be found up north. Now your talking one unbelievable beautiful wood. A lot of antiques of country style were Chestnut and often mistaken as walnut. Slight variations in the grain and years of shellac it can be very difficult to tell them apart.

Im not honoring a request, Im just giving it to you as a gift when I can get it to you. I dont really have a need for it and Id rather it be in the hands and shop of someone who can appreciate it more, create something nice with it.
I looked up wormy chestnut last night, and yep, thats what it looks like.

1 and 3/8th thick, 6.5 inches wide, 80 inches long, and I know theres some smaller pieces hidden in the pile(I hope I didnt cut them up)

Attachments

• bed 362 (Medium).jpg
    bed 362 (Medium).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 8
  • bed 363 (Medium).jpg
    bed 363 (Medium).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 8