freud thin kerf glue line rip blade - evaluation

Don Baer

Staff member
I needed a new blade for ripping and figured I try one of these.

attachment.php

I was escialy suprized at how quite it was when I turned on the saw. I took a piece of hard maple 4/4 and ripped away, it cut like butter. Now for the real test.
attachment.php

It passed big time, I can highly reccomend it. :thumb:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 84
I've got a couple red Freud thin kerf rip blades and a thin kerf crosscut blade, and I love 'em. I haven't used the Glue Line models, but I consistently get rip cuts that are ready for glue-up straight off the saw.

BTW, what's the "real test" in the photo? All I see is a kinda blurry piece of wood. Could be 1/4" thick for all I can see in the pic. :p

I bought the glue up regular kerf red freud before I owned a jointer.
It does a pretty neat job of it. I first ripped it in Tods jig to straighten it out, then ripped with the freud, got pretty straight glue up.
ONly thing I notice, is that I have to feed it in a bit slower than a regular blade. Not sure why, maybe its me or my TS, but a slower feed rate works better for me with that blade.
My new tool guy told me he has a great guy to sharpen blades, at 17 bucks a pop.
Dont know if thats high, but I figure for around here, I wont do much better if its a good job.
I picked up an Amana blade this week, for 35 bucks. Looks solid, havent used it yet.