Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hollowing deep

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

hollowing deep

I'm working on a wood flower vase for my sister in law. It's 4 1/4 x 10 1/4. I got it drilled with a 1" bit 9 1/2" And hollowed out 7 1/2". Which is as deep as i can get my hunter #4 to go. That was pushing it real bad. Holdin it in my hands with out using the tool rest. I no i shouldn't have but i didn't no what else to try.. Still don't no what to do to get the last 2" or so. What do you do if you don't have the hollowing system? Here's a pic of what i'm trying to do it on.
    Thanks for all comments.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008 [800x600].JPG  

Forstner on an extension?

That's a nice looking piece. Bet it will look great with a finish on it..
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    ...What do you do if you don't have the hollowing system?...
    I'd stop at 7 1/2". Maybe even before that, considering the 'no tool rest' aspect. Pushing tools (any tools) beyond their limit is just asking for a hurtin'.

It's a pretty piece, and not worth risking an accident with. If it was mine, I'd quit while I was ahead, finish it, and live with the thick bottom.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Stephen,
    I have a "termite" too that I can reach that deep with... it's tricky with the cut and I'm still on the low end of the learning curve, but it a great tool for reaching in narrow and deep vessels.. I use mine for some of my wood goblets and hollow forms... I haven't tried a vase yet... still on my to-do list though.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Screw a carbide cutter to the end of some iron rod similar to the poor man's C1 I made.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Forstner on an extension?

That's a nice looking piece. Bet it will look great with a finish on it..
    that's how i got what i got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'd stop at 7 1/2". Maybe even before that, considering the 'no tool rest' aspect. Pushing tools (any tools) beyond their limit is just asking for a hurtin'.

It's a pretty piece, and not worth risking an accident with. If it was mine, I'd quit while I was ahead, finish it, and live with the thick bottom.
    I'm sure my sister in law wouldn't mind me doing that, as she takes all my rejects. just wanted to give them something nice for the wooden roses she got from my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Stephen,
    I have a "termite" too that I can reach that deep with... it's tricky with the cut and I'm still on the low end of the learning curve, but it a great tool for reaching in narrow and deep vessels.. I use mine for some of my wood goblets and hollow forms... I haven't tried a vase yet... still on my to-do list though.
    Chuck i have a termite and did try that this am before going to work. Helped some, just like you havn't gotten it down real good. That learning curve is a pain in the you no what.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Screw a carbide cutter to the end of some iron rod similar to the poor man's C1 I made.
    Frank you don't have any pics of that poor boys c1 cutter you made by chance you would be willing to share do ya.

when frank s gets you the cutter pics you need to show us the wood roses!!! your brother made.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    when frank s gets you the cutter pics you need to show us the wood roses!!! your brother made.
    Larry he didn't made them he bought them some were. He is a state licensed elec, plummer. when he needs some thing built he comes over and gets me to build it.. ofcorse when i need some elec done he'll come and help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Larry he didn't made them he bought them some were. He is a state licensed elec, plummer. when he needs some thing built he comes over and gets me to build it.. ofcorse when i need some elec done he'll come and help me.
    True. And you can believe everything we both say.

Pics soon. Already somewhere on this forum but will be easier to take and post new ones.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

my tool

Two facts about me well known here:
    I am seriously deficient in the ingenuities department. Meaning, if I can visualize and complete this project it is kiddy-garden simple.
    And, I ain't gonna pay no $100.00 for something when I can make it for $5.00.
    The cutter you see was part of a package of 10 I purchased from Grizzly for about $25.00.
    The 3/8" rod cost a buck or two at the local steel supply. The wood came from my scrap pile. The ferrule was probably the most expensive part, a coupling from the hardware store, almost $5.00. Never do that again.
    The carbide cutters are available from many sources. They are also available in round. But, for whatever reason, round ones are a lot more expensive. They range about $10.00 to $15.00 each. Don't ask me why.
    For your project, I would recommend you get a round cutter.
    The shaft can be almost anything but square stock in 3/8", or larger is best as it lays steady better than round.
    For what you are doing, a long shaft with the handle end bent at 90 degrees would give you a good grip. But, please, do use a rest.
    Don't use cold rolled steel, way to hard to work with and is not necessary. Hot rolled is much-much easier to work with.
    Grind down a flat, drill a hole, tap and screw on the cutter. BTW, buy your screws with the cutters.
    BTW, the carbide stays sharp a very long time. With square you can just change edges. With round, just turn a little. One cutter will last and last and last.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool 2.jpg   tool 1.jpg