procedure question, wide lap joint

larry merlau

ok ,, i have got it done but didnt like the way it turned out.. so am asking for your method of doing this.. take two boards that are 5" wide and have them intersect at the middle with a 30 degree or 60 degree angle depends on how you look at it.. using a dado blade on a T-Saw..think railroad sign... how do you hold it down to maintain the right depth of cut.. yup i made mine fit with a plane.

I have one of those older Delta miter guages that has the rails and hold downs, so that's what I'd use.

I'd probably still clean up the dados using a shoulder plane, though.

Small base router with a straight bit. The small base follows the surface better than moving the long surface across a large flat table saw table. This results in a more consistent depth without having to press down super hard on the board near the spinning wheel of death . . . oh, I mean the dado stack.

The un-flatness of the board is exaggerated for clarity ;-)

Attachments

• router-dado-example.jpg
    router-dado-example.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 31
well glenn pretty much summed up my troubles,, i ended up planing them to get them right.. and i will look at a router next trip. but here is another obstacle for you glenn or tod.. this rebate was 4 inchs wide so how do you control a little router that has base of 3.5 to do a 4" gap .. run stops on each side then start in the middle and come to the line? funny how them router thingys keep coming up in the realm of things:)

Use the router to cut a series of dadoes side by side. Be careful to position the outer edges, but just leave enough between them so the router base has something to ride on. When you are finished with the router, clean out the ridges with a chisel.

Use a BIG subbase on the router to span the gap. Stops optional. Depends on just how steady your hand is and luck that day.:thumb:

well glenn pretty much summed up my troubles,, i ended up planing them to get them right.. and i will look at a router next trip. but here is another obstacle for you glenn or tod.. this rebate was 4 inchs wide so how do you control a little router that has base of 3.5 to do a 4" gap .. run stops on each side then start in the middle and come to the line? funny how them router thingys keep coming up in the realm of things:)