Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Questions

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Bandsaw Questions

Hi there:

Could someone kindly explain to me what the use and importance of the bandsaw is in a shop? A neighbor (who's downsizing) has offered me one if I want it, but frankly I don't really know what it does, and I read that it's fussy and requires careful set up and calibration every time you use it.......

By the way, is there a forum for gloating if I pick up a lot of his tools?

THANKS
    (I'm very green if that's not obvious to everyone)
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 06-15-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: left a word out
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    A Band saw is one of the must have tools IMHO. It is useful for things like cutting out round table tops, Making tenions. Resawing thick board into thinner ones. The list goes on. What size Band saw is it and oh BTW gloats are expected along with pictures especialy when you get new tools..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

this would be the right sub forum for a gloat cynthia, and i agree that if you can get it for free grab it no matter what it is..they are not complicated but are very usuefull
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

There is a bit of a learning curve but that goes with any new tool.
    In my shop, my bandsaw is probably my most often used 'go to' tool for making and preparing wood for use. It is much safer to use than a tablesaw and the only thing to use for small pieces of wood. It can be used for milling down large hunks of wood into more usable sizes.
    Like others have said it is a 'must' in most shops.
    Take it and enjoy.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Grab it!

No, a bandsaw isn't generally tempermental. Once the blade is tracked (a one-time thing during installation) it's pretty much good to go.

A bandsaw is used primarily for cutting curves, and for re-sawing thick pieces into thin ones. For me, it's just about the most-used tool in the shop. In fact, I have two of them, a 14" and a 16" that I keep set up - the 14" for curved and s,all cuts, and the 16" with a wide re-sawing blade. Both get used a lot.

Some shops or individual woodworkers go so far as to say the don't need a tablesaw as long as they've got a bandsaw and a shop saw. I'm not one of those people (I have a cabinet saw, too) but I can see where it could be done.

Now - Grab that free bandsaw before the guy changes his mind!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Rule #1 of being a woodworker. Never turn down free tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Rule #1 of being a woodworker. Never turn down free tools.
    Or free wood.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Cynthia, your question emphasizes the real role of why this forum exists.
    To many, your question may seem simple. But to a beginner in this addiction, it is a very important basic matter. I hope we helped. If you have lingering questions, fire away.
    If new woodworking/turning puzzlements come along the way, just ask, we really want to help Family members, old and new.

How big a band saw? Sounds like you have some great neighbors. No matter what size if it is free it is good. You can always upgrade later. I use mine more for work with the lathe but there is re-sawing boards and making veneers and round curves and .....
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Cynthia, your question emphasizes the real role of why this forum exists.
    To many, your question may seem simple. But to a beginner in this addiction, it is a very important basic matter. I hope we helped. If you have lingering questions, fire away.
    If new woodworking/turning puzzlements come along the way, just ask, we really want to help Family members, old and new.
    Also if I might add, check past posts in the forum as you may find some answers to questions that have already been asked before.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............