PM and Web site link buttons

Jeff Horton

All right admin types. Can we not add a button like the QUOTE bottom at the bottom of each message that provides a link to the users personal web site? If they have one of course.

And what about a PM button too? I have seen these on a lot of sites but not sure if they were vBulletin run boards or not.

I know that some of us have web sites and it's not convenient to go look at everyones profile to find them. The PM button is just more convenient.

Jeff

Jeff,
I believe doing what you want would require altering the base code in the V-Bulletin software. While I am sure our admins are capable of doing it. They are trying to not alter the base code since they are planning on handing off the admin jobs to others in the family and it would make it harder for future admins to see what they have done. I hope this makes sense.

Thats my questions Don, is it a feature that we can just turn on? I am thinking I it might be an option. I don't want anyone to do any hacks. I know a little bit about this stuff and know what a problem that could be down the road.

And Jim, I know we can look at a persons profile and see if they have a web site, but the way it is now, I have to look at each and every one to determine who does and doesn't have a web site.

Jeff,

If I single click on a persons name in a post inside a thread, (your name, in this case), a drop down menu appears. In that menu is an entry for "Visit Jeff Horton's Homepage!" If the person doesn't have a web page listed in their profile, that option isn't in the drop down. (Click on my name and you won't see the option in the drop down since I don't list my website in my profile...)

If the person does have a homepage listed in their profile, and the option is in the menu, I usually right click on the option and select Open In a New Window. That way, when I'm done browsing their webpage, I simply close the new window and I'm back in the forum where I was before I went browsing.

Is that not convenient enough? :dunno:

- Marty -

All right admin types. Can we not add a button like the QUOTE bottom at the bottom of each message that provides a link to the users personal web site? If they have one of course.

And what about a PM button too? I have seen these on a lot of sites but not sure if they were vBulletin run boards or not.

I know that some of us have web sites and it's not convenient to go look at everyones profile to find them. The PM button is just more convenient.

Jeff

I just clicked the bullet by your name & dropped this menu.

Jeff Horton
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Jeff Horton
Send email to Jeff Horton
Visit Jeff Horton's homepage!
Find all posts by Jeff Horton
Add Jeff Horton to Your Buddy List

OK, let me try this one more time. If I want to go to Vaughns web site, sure that simple enough to use the link in his profile. What if I don't know Vaughn has a web site? :huh:

Last night I wanted to go view members web sites. I know Stu and Vaughn have web sites. I have no idea if any of the rest of us do. The way it is I have to go through a bunch of threads and check everyones profile to see if they have a web site or not. I know somewhere I have read a board that has a button on the bottom labeled WWW, it's a link to that persons web site. If we have that option with this software it would be nice it it was turned on.

It's not that big a deal, it's just after a while you learn who does and doesn't have a web site. Now I have to hunt to find that info.

OK, just found a way to find who does and doesn't have web sites. You can open the member list and it shows there. Still takes some time to go through all the members but at least there is a way without having to go through each one, one by one.

And that button I was thinking of is in the member profile. So I bet it is an option to display it in our posts.

OK, let me try this one more time. If I want to go to Vaughns web site, sure that simple enough to use the link in his profile. What if I don't know Vaughn has a web site? :huh:

Last night I wanted to go view members web sites. I know Stu and Vaughn have web sites. I have no idea if any of the rest of us do. The way it is I have to go through a bunch of threads and check everyones profile to see if they have a web site or not. I know somewhere I have read a board that has a button on the bottom labeled WWW, it's a link to that persons web site. If we have that option with this software it would be nice it it was turned on.

It's not that big a deal, it's just after a while you learn who does and doesn't have a web site. Now I have to hunt to find that info.

Jeff,

Ah ha! Now I know what you want....

Click on "Members List" at the top of the screen and you'll get a list of all members. Those that have website will have a WWW next to their names.

Hope that helps a little...
- Marty -