Maytag Recall

Saw where Maytag is recalling over 2 million dishwashers. Mine is included. Back in 2000 during a kitchen upgrade, I purchased a new frig, range, washer, dryer and dishwasher. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAVE REQUIRED MULTIPLE SERVICE CALLS. Well...except the dishwasher. Now they tell me the dishwasher is causing house fires:eek:

Rob, the service tech, (we are on a first name basis now) told me that "Maytag's quality is among the worst in the industry. They used to be one of the best but not anymore". Wish I knew that before I bought Maytag.

Saw that as well. Mine is labeled as a Jenn aire, but I am in the recall as well. I believe Maytag filed for bankruptcy awhile back as well. Supposedly, you have the choice of getting it fixed for free or a $75 cash allowance on a new one. I suspect if you call to get it fixed, they will be backlogged for the parts forever.....

Didn't I hear recently that Maytag had been bought out by Whirlpool? If that's the case, look for things manufactured AFTER the buyout. Whirlpool has such a good rep that they will make sure that anything labelled as "Maytag" will be done right.

IMHO - I'm a Whirlpool fan.

Nancy

I hadn't heard that, but I am a whirlpool fan myself. I have had goodluck with their appliances, and if IIRC, they donate to habitat for humanity consistently and are American made.

Travis, you are correct about the $75.00 allowance or free repair. I assume the $75.00 applies only to buying another Maytag product which I'm not inclined to do. By the way... their web site has gone down frequently because of all the hits.

It's funny that you & Nancy both mentioned Whirlpool....that's exactly what the service guy recommended.:thumb: Where were you two 6-years ago.:D

I believe I saw on the web site you could buy whirlpool or a couple of other brands and get the allowance.

Don't feel bad, the last dishwasher I bought outright was a Maytag. The one I have now came with the house.

We have had zero luck in getting the repair scheduled. The dishwasher cleans good, and I really don't want to fork out money to replace something that works. I expect all they are going to do is replace the jet dry container in the door anyway. Oh well. Washing dishes by hand isn't that bad.....