Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Concrete Counter Top

Concrete Counter Top

Decided a house isn't a house without a utility sink for washing out things like paintbrushes, rollers and such. Just doesn't feel right doing it in the kitchen sink.

Decided to remodel 'my' little bathroom. Kind of an odd room between the den and the garage. They even put a shower in there. It had a basic lavatory, but we thought it would make more sense to put a cabinet in there with a utility sink. And the brilliant idea is that I was going to make a concrete counter top for it.

It's going into a very small little nook in "my" bathroom. I made a cabinet for it with a poplar face frame and doors made out of poplar with birch ply panels. It's not great, but it's not that ugly. I actually think it will work. Here's a pic of it with the utility sink mounted and a temporary melamine counter top.

Got the mold made and the rebar fitted.

Still have to do some cleanup on the mold, and will probably do the pour in a day or so. I'll keep you posted...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails concrete_counter_01.jpg   cabinet.jpg  
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Faith, Hope & Charity

dont they put some silicon in the corners so you dont have sharp edges? or some other type of filler..a router wont round over the crete very well and will end up being rounded over itself if you try it
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Brent, that unsupported "wing" on your current counter, I assume you are recreating that with the angled area on your pattern. I am not expert, but would think it can't "hang" like the current counter top even though there is wire in it. Some type of support brace front and rear from the counter to the wall is going to be needed.
    Are you going to leave the wire in the pattern and pour or are you going to pour then vibrate the wire in. Hear it is a bummer when you vibrate the wire to the pattern's bottom so it shows up in the top of the counter. I have considered building one of these from time to time and figured I would use string and fender washers so I knew when the wire reached the center.
    I don't know about the exertions of the concrete, but a diagonal brace inside the sink cutout would insure no unwanted angles.
    So, adding color? Hope you take pictures and document this as you go. Would really find it interesting. Good luck and have fun. If the first one doesn't work out, going to put it out for a flower bed?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    dont they put some silicon in the corners so you dont have sharp edges? or some other type of filler..a router wont round over the crete very well and will end up being rounded over itself if you try it
    Need to take some more pictures. I used some black caulk, but kind of made of mess of it. I'm cleaning it up and will be redoing the front edge...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Brent, that unsupported "wing" on your current counter, I assume you are recreating that with the angled area on your pattern. I am not expert, but would think it can't "hang" like the current counter top even though there is wire in it. Some type of support brace front and rear from the counter to the wall is going to be needed.
    Are you going to leave the wire in the pattern and pour or are you going to pour then vibrate the wire in. Hear it is a bummer when you vibrate the wire to the pattern's bottom so it shows up in the top of the counter. I have considered building one of these from time to time and figured I would use string and fender washers so I knew when the wire reached the center.
    I don't know about the exertions of the concrete, but a diagonal brace inside the sink cutout would insure no unwanted angles.
    So, adding color? Hope you take pictures and document this as you go. Would really find it interesting. Good luck and have fun. If the first one doesn't work out, going to put it out for a flower bed?
    I've got cleats on the wall on the back and side. I'll also be putting a support strip across the front when I go to install it.

My plan is to mix up a fairly dry mix and to hand pack it about half way, put in the rebar, then pack it the rest of the way. Good idea about doing something to keep it from vibrating to the bottom. Maybe I'll just use some wire and screws around the edges.

For color I'm going with some black iron oxide. We'll see how dark it gets.

The whole thing is kind of an experiment, which is why I've got the temporary counter top in place.

If it doesn't work out, I've already got a huge pile of busted concrete the previous owners left for us. I reckon a counter top won't add much to the pile...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Hey, get to pouring. I want to see how it turns out!

I just don't get the attraction to granite and concrete counter tops. Both are very heavy, prone to staining and cracking and expensive. Formica or Corian make fine tops, IMHO, with less fuss and bother.
    What am I missing?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Durability, appearance, etc..

I like the way granite, stilestone, concrete counter tops look.

I've seen formica counter tops that looked pretty worn our after not too long a time due to abuse.

Different strokes for different folks!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I just don't get the attraction to granite and concrete counter tops. Both are very heavy, prone to staining and cracking and expensive. Formica or Corian make fine tops, IMHO, with less fuss and bother.
    What am I missing?
    Frank,
    we've had these granite counter tops for 3 years and love em. Had tile in the first house and 3rd house and formica in the second house. The groute gets satined in the tile ones and the formica will scratch and discolor. The granite well what can I say it's granite so it'll outlast me. This is how they look today and this picture wasa taken Feb 2007.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 06-16-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward