Scott Rongey

Here's a pair of boxes I made a couple of years ago from some left over mango wood and a sheet of brass to support the inner box; the insides are flocked. I made them as a pair of simple jewelry boxes for my wife and daughter. They had matching necklaces: wife's in the large box and daughter's in the small box.

Attachments

• Nested Boxes.jpg
    Nested Boxes.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Two Boxes.jpg
    Two Boxes.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Large Box.jpg
    Large Box.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 57
  • Small Box.jpg
    Small Box.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 51
I've never seen anything quite like that Scott, I like it very much, great imagination and a great use of scrap wood!

I gather this is a "Bandsawn" box?

Cheers!

Not really a "bandsaw" box, even though I used a bandsaw for slicing off the top(s) and cutting the outside of the large box. I sliced off the top, taped it back on, used a scroll saw to cut out the inner box, routed out the inside of each box, cut out the large box, and routed small rebates on the lids.

Scott, I can't really understand them yet. Stuck on them being bandsaw boxes and was looking for the center to be a sliding pocket. Does the underside of the lid have "centering pegs/ability" to keep it lined up? The idea of slicing the top and bottom off then using the scroll saw to cut out the center saved you on one glue up and keeps the outer wall looking clean. :thumb:

There weren't any glue-ups (if you don't count the flocking). The insides of the boxes are about one inch deep so they were simply hollowed out with a router. The bottoms of the boxes were hollowed out as well except at the corners to provide feet for the boxes. The brass was simply screwed on from the bottom. To keep the lids registered, a small lip was routed to let part of the lid to hang inside the box.

Attachments

• Profile.jpg
    Profile.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Bottom of Boxes.jpg
    Bottom of Boxes.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Bottom of Lids.jpg
    Bottom of Lids.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 19
:huh::huh::huh:Thanks for posting and sharing, but am feeling a little dense here. :dunno::dunno::huh::huh: The first picture is all of the pieces in the next three photos? If so, :doh::doh: I think I got it. :eek::eek: Sorry, someone has to ask the hard questions here. :p

Yes, the first picture show both boxes nested together.

The second picture shows both boxes but the inner box has been removed and you can see the brass support in the opening of the large box. The small box sits on the brass so it sits proud of the large box (i.e. in the first picture).

The third and fourth pictures show the lid and base of each box individually.

again i say it is avery well done box assembly. and to rout the inside out of those with out having a mishap. is similar to doing a touch surgery... one catch and its over..:thumb::thumb: