Buying hand tools on a budget ...

Rob Keeble

There is no doubt about the experiences associated with a new finely made hand tools that are being offered by many vendors today. But what goes with those tools is a neat price tag relative to the effort and of course the production run size.

For those of you who like me have taken to this side of woodworking but dont have the budget at present, you can still get a great set of handtools via online purchase or garage sales or local auctions if you are patient. Whether its ebay, craigs list or kijiji or a more local source like a antique store or pawn shop its amazing what you can pick up if you kick the instant "must have it now" kinda habit and go for the long haul.

It started with the purchase of a Stanley Jointer Plane which i just "had to have" and paid way too much for but got a tool i am very happy with.
Then i settled down for the long haul and made some real good buys.

Over the last 6 months i have picked up the following.

1) A curved spokeshave....Kunz...$20 ex our forum classifieds
2) A router plane ...$20 via ebay
3) A Disston hand saw ......circa 1940's.....$10...ebay
4) A hand held scraper .....$20.....ebay

There is nothing wrong with any of these tools, yeah they need a little tlc and tune up when you get them but apart from wear over the years they fundamentally pretty good users and when i consider what i paid for them, simply purchasing one of them new would pay for the whole lot and leave me with change to spare.

In most cases you can get new blades if really needed and spare parts from newer versions that are retrofitable.

So if you on a tight budget what with the economy right now, you can still have a great deal of fun for very little money.:D;):thumb:

There is also the satisfaction of working with a tool that started its life long ago. I often think of the users who might have had it before just the way i think of my Dad when i take his old tools out for spin.

Have you got any tips to share in picking up second hand tools.

I am hunting for a decent tennon saw but the dollar prices right now are way over what i am prepared for at this point in time.

Agree. Flea markets and antique shops are a great source of many things. I don't prowl them regularly but on the occasions I do, I keep my eyes open for bargains.
We have a large antique shop trying to sell out. It is were I bought my Disston back saw. He has about 1200 planes and many unique tools and non-tool items at great prices.
I'm sure a lot of money could be made buying his inventory and reselling. But, I have neither the aprox. $50,000.00 or time to invest.