Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown Moldings and Corners

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Crown Moldings and Corners

Afternoon folks:

I was reading in a finishing carpentry book that the real way to figure out angles for inside and outside corners is with Trigonometry, and there was a whole page of calculations.

Now I haven't done Trig since high school--30+ years ago. Do you'all who are good at those corners *really* do a page of calculations to figure them out? Cause if so, it will take me a year of math review before being able to do 1 corner.

Thanks, and I only want to hear good news.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Naw,
    I use one of these...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails adjustable square.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Jigs, fixtures, and measuring devices. I have jig for the miter saw that allows placing molding in the position it is to be attached and then a simple miter is cut. I also have an electronic protractor that measures the angle of the corner, divide by 2 and the result will be the angle.

Calculations are for Engineers and Techys.

The Slding T Bevel (as Don showed you,) is tried and true to determine the angle, divide by 2 and that is the miter angle. The Electronic one is for old lazy guys like myself. I have a folding protractor and was using the T-bevel measuring for the angle, etc when the friend who's house I was hanging molding watched and presented me with a gift of the electronic dodad and I fell in Love...
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 06-17-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Keep one thing in mind Cynthia, there are no true 90 corners in any house. I found that out over 30 years ago when my wife wanted me to build her a corner shelf. I took great pains to make it perfect, when I went to hang it I found out the corner wasn't.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I just cut the piece and put it up. Out sides cut at what ever angle you need and insides I cope.
    I could try and enplane it but I can not. If you where standing on the job with me. I could show you in about 10 seconds.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

vision challenged guys say, Thankgod for caulking.

I recently put up crown molding and I bought the premade inside corners. ONly problem was, none of the walls inside corners matched the premade ones, I had to cut a couple of degrees off in slices till it fit right.

No advice on the crown molding, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    ...Do you'all...
    Cynthia, Cynthia, Cynthia. Did you have to leave your Southerner Card at the border when you entered the Great White North? It's y'all, not you'all. I'd usually cut most folks some slack on forum spelling (to wit: Larry and Don), but you're a writer, fer cryin' out loud.

Kidding, of course. I learned long ago I have to leave my Grammar Cop badge at home when I come here to the forum.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I learned long ago I have to leave my Grammar Cop badge at home when I come here to the forum.
    Yea right

Heck, I usually look at Larry's posts as I do cross word puzzles or Wheel of fortune... Take a look at whats there and try and figure out what the missing letters are..
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

like the others have said, no calcs, just one of those things like don posted. or cut it 45 and caulk...depending on how much you care about your work, which isn't many people around where i live i can tell you that much