Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Corian?

Working Corian?

While trolling eBay for bargians, I found someone selling Corian pen blanks. Can these be turned on a lathe just like wood? Are they machinable? I might be able to beg access to a CNC machine, and laminating a few layers of scrap Corian together seems like an economical and extremely strong material.

Depends on what you want to use them for, but they are very machineable with standard woodworking tools...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Depends on what you want to use them for, but they are very machineable with standard woodworking tools...
    Do you think I could work it with a standard (~1.5HP) plunge router and cheap carbide bits?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shaul View Post
    Do you think I could work it with a standard (~1.5HP) plunge router and cheap carbide bits?
    That should work. You probably should take fairly light cuts, but if a HSS chisel works on Corian spinning at 1000 rpm on a lathe, a carbide bit at 10,000 rpm should be fine.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I turned one a while ago, it was so nice, Emiko snatched it right out of my hand when I showed her, and it is now "Her" pen
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

This is interesting question... I've turned one corian pen... no problems with the turning... I think I did it before I got my little lathe, so it was done on a Ridgid spindle lathe.. probably about a 14 x 46 bed... the corian turned fine.. smelled a little like vinegar when I turned it, but in the end, I didn't like the pen.. I think it's kinda bland - like blah - so haven't tried another... even threw away the other pieces of corian I had when I moved.

I still have the pen and put it out with my other slimlines when I do shows... so far no takers... it's been in the inventory about 6 or 7 years now... think I'll take it out to the show for a shop pen... I need a new out there anyway.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shaul View Post
    If you are working with small and/or glued up pieces, just make sure the workpiece is held securely. And take small bites. Wouldn't want it catch and blow up!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

It is turnable but not easily. The old adage 'sharp tools and light touch' applies to Corian.
    It can be CA glued with good quality CA. Dunno why but not all CAs will work on it.
    Corian does soften with heat. Note the "light touch" advisory.
    I had a large box full of slabs and blanks and gave it away.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Interesting thought - I have a sink cutout from 3/4" white corian . . . I was going to use it for a router table but never got around to it.

A white corian european pen with platinum might be cool looking. . . Must cut a blank off and try it . . . It might look pretty blah too . . . I'll let you know . . .

Jim

what about adding a celtic knot to the corian? with that white background, it would really stand out.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking