Working Corian?

Joseph Shaul

While trolling eBay for bargians, I found someone selling Corian pen blanks. Can these be turned on a lathe just like wood? Are they machinable? I might be able to beg access to a CNC machine, and laminating a few layers of scrap Corian together seems like an economical and extremely strong material.

Depends on what you want to use them for, but they are very machineable with standard woodworking tools...

Do you think I could work it with a standard (~1.5HP) plunge router and cheap carbide bits?

That should work. You probably should take fairly light cuts, but if a HSS chisel works on Corian spinning at 1000 rpm on a lathe, a carbide bit at 10,000 rpm should be fine.

This is interesting question... I've turned one corian pen... no problems with the turning... I think I did it before I got my little lathe, so it was done on a Ridgid spindle lathe.. probably about a 14 x 46 bed... the corian turned fine.. smelled a little like vinegar when I turned it, but in the end, I didn't like the pen.. I think it's kinda bland - like blah - so haven't tried another... even threw away the other pieces of corian I had when I moved.

I still have the pen and put it out with my other slimlines when I do shows... so far no takers... it's been in the inventory about 6 or 7 years now... think I'll take it out to the show for a shop pen... I need a new out there anyway.

Do you think I could work it with a standard (~1.5HP) plunge router and cheap carbide bits?

If you are working with small and/or glued up pieces, just make sure the workpiece is held securely. And take small bites. Wouldn't want it catch and blow up!

It is turnable but not easily. The old adage 'sharp tools and light touch' applies to Corian.
It can be CA glued with good quality CA. Dunno why :dunno: but not all CAs will work on it.
Corian does soften with heat. Note the "light touch" advisory.
I had a large box full of slabs and blanks and gave it away.

Interesting thought - I have a sink cutout from 3/4" white corian . . . I was going to use it for a router table but never got around to it.

A white corian european pen with platinum might be cool looking. . . Must cut a blank off and try it . . . It might look pretty blah too . . . I'll let you know . . .

Jim

It is turnable but not easily. The old adage 'sharp tools and light touch' applies to Corian.
It can be CA glued with good quality CA. Dunno why :dunno: but not all CAs will work on it.
Corian does soften with heat. Note the "light touch" advisory.
I had a large box full of slabs and blanks and gave it away.

Any chance you can recommend a good glue? Also, anyone here know how to make paint stick to it?

Bingo. Some dark sort of laminate or something. That would really pop... :thumb:

There's a trick for electroplating to plastics where you first coat it with a conductive paint. Nickel on white corian might be pretty nifty.

Last edited:
I love turning Corian, and dont find it as difficult to turn as some posters here are saying.

Here's a pic of my latest project, all on their way to our Peacekeepers in Afghanistan.

attachment.php

Matching Cigar pens and Gillette Mach III razors.

All pieces were glued with thick CA, and "C" clamped.

Geeze Mack, the Razor handles are a Peachy Keen Idea. Where do you get the blade holders? Cut them off the razors? :huh:

Any chance you can recommend a good glue? Also, anyone here know how to make paint stick to it?

There's a trick for electroplating to plastics where you first coat it with a conductive paint. Nickel on white corian might be pretty nifty.

Somewhere in my stack I have instructions for gluing written by a guy who was considered the Corian guru on SMC several years back. He recommends only one brand of CA. Coincidentally, he sells that brand. Later.