Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone explain???

Can anyone explain???

I know the belt on my jointer is loose because the board comes out with a twist in it...I just can't wrap my head around why.

Anybody?

May be caused from the belt slipping as the board is being passed over the blade. this would cause the the knifes to rotate as they are supposed to, This will cause the board not to get surfaced properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Feuerzeig View Post
    I know the belt on my jointer is loose because the board comes out with a twist in it...I just can't wrap my head around why.

Anybody?
    I have pondered this and I cannot make a "cause and effect" link between the 2 things. Has this happened more than once? If not, I'd mark it up to coincidence.

If the bearings on your jointer failed terribly, It's possible that low tension on the belt would cause deeper cutting on the belt side. But if the bearings were that bad, the first thing you'd probably notice would be an earthquake-like shaking and some very loud noise. And then the cutter head might fly out of the machine. You would definitely know you had a problem.

All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Could be your knives aren't parallel to the table?

It's happened a number of times. The bearings are fine...that's the thing. The belt is slipping. This I know, because the solution works every time...I tighten the belt and all is well. In my mind...the only way to get a twisted piece of wood out of the outfeed table of the jointer is for the knives to be somehow lifting up, or twisting. But the only thing that is changing is the speed of the cut, when the belt slips.

Plus I think I posted this in the wrong forum Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Feuerzeig View Post
    Plus I think I posted this in the wrong forum Oh well.
    I don't have any ideas for your jointer problem, but I figured I'd move the question over here so it will hopefully be seen by more eyes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn. And I really don't consider it a jointer "problem" though. I think it is more of a direct cause and effect...I just can't figure out why. Maybe this is a bit of a warning as well as a question.

Warning: if your jointer belt is loose, your boards will come out twisted.

But is almost doesn't make sense right? And I see this happening long before I would've known about the belt from hearing it or otherwise. I spend a lot of time on the jointer...sometimes days at a time.

If you ever do figure this out please post it!! I have been thinking on this and thinking on this and I am stumped. Unless there is something loose or some play where I can't figure it out. It just not make any sense. But I have seen some strange things in the factory that once you FINALLY found it made sense. But finding the problem was near impossible.

Recently my jointer started making wedges but they were tapered across the side, not end to end. That has me stumped why it suddenly started doing this. Of course it didn't take to long to find it, it was a loose knife.

Jeff
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Hi Craig,
    I sure hope you figure this out because something is wrong and it could be a very hazardous situation you are working in. If something is wrong there is a reason, like Jeff said, with him it was a loose knife . Ive seen results from a loose knife on a northfield jointer. It can tear up some steel.
    Hope it is just the belt but best be sure and safe. Figure it out SOON and let us know.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Craig, I know you said the bearings are fine...but having some "play" in the mechanical connection from the belt to the knife head is the only plausible reason I can think of that would cause one side to go off plane.

Looks like we're all stumped....good luck.