Thread: I hate that little twinge

I hate that little twinge

I dont know why I have so little confidence when it comes to making that one big cut.
    I work on a top for over a week, alot of hours, then finally, when I have to lay a straight edge on it and cut it down to size, after measuring 6 times, checking everything, dont want a mishap, dont want the cord to snag, dont want to bump into something as IM walking the saw through, whatever, I get that twinge, that split second of impending disaster just as Im about to pull the switch and turn on the saw.
    Im sure if I was a pro and knew what I was doing so well I could do it in my sleep, Id just consider it another cut, get it done, move on.
    I hate this twinge, this little split second of doom before I do that final cut.
    Dont know why I fear the final cuts, cant figure it out.
    Am I alone, does the final cut of a top or panel give anyone else the willys before they slice it to final dimensions?
    anyway, its time to do the final cut.

I don't think you're alone on this type of cut, Allen. Especially when cutting something you've spent a long time working on already.

But you've got the tools and the experience to do it.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good luck we're all counting on you.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	46381
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Are you kidding. I get that feeling of impending doom everytime I have to make a precision cut. Even though I'm confident I've made, checked and rechecked measurements, I know my innate ability to screw it up.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    hey it only wood...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Every time I make a cut I get that feeling.

It's kind of like flying radio controlled airplanes. Every flight could be the last one. You spend a lot of time and money building the things and then you just have to fly it. It's great when they come home A-ok, but every flight there is a lot of opportunity to mess it up...

I remember one time I had a glider that used a little .049 engine assist to get to altitude. Nice glider, flew real well. I launched it and realized after trying to control it that I forgot to turn the radio in the plane on. Boy did that thing fly in a nice little climbing lazy circle. Never saw it again....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Are you kidding. I get that feeling of impending doom everytime I have to make a precision cut. Even though I'm confident I've made, checked and rechecked measurements, I know my innate ability to screw it up.

Bob said it all for me. I would add its not only on the final cut but most cuts. You sure aint alone.
    cheers