Another day and turning again

Dan Mosley

Work slow so I didnt work again today........so off to the garage to turn another vessel and with better luck then the other day.

Picture 1- Roughing out the shape for a rounded vessel

Picture 2 - Initial hollowing out with my indexing tool

Picture 3 -Finish hollowing out with the Monster rig..... Dried Mesquite gets very jumpy when hollowing especially the middle inside with the cutter.

Picture 4 - One coat of 50/50 Laquer and Laquer thinner (using Behlans Laquer cut with Laquer thinner) applied by hand. Behlan's Laquer is a very good laquer and is crystal clear when you open the can. It is the second time ive used it and I really like how it looks.

Picture 5 - Second coat of the above, sprayed the inside with orange oil and letting it sit ("INSIDE"....:eek:) until I have more time to add more and part it off

Attachments

• Start-1.jpg
    Start-1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Start-2.jpg
    Start-2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Start-3.jpg
    Start-3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 33
  • Start-4.jpg
    Start-4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Start-5.jpg
    Start-5.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Nice work Dan. What size cutting bit is on the monster tool? I have a hunk of mesquite myself from someone here or sawmillcreek--I can't seem to remember who I traded wood with! Anyway, any hints for those working with handheld tools would be great--it may sit around for a while more; I have a lot of smaller forms to work before I get to that piece.

Nathan...................I use 3/16 colbalt and HSS cutter bits on the end of my monster rig..........I use my indexing tool (hand held) for initial hogging out of the vessels I make because its faster....then change to the monster rig and finish up the thickness...........The mesquite I have been using is pretty dry and tough especially on the inside so I use some spray oil to make the cutting easier. With the indexing tool I do not use anything but when I change to the monster rig I have my spray bottle at hand with the mesquite.....you will find it makes a big difference if the wood is dry....
On wet fresh cut wood...........i use nothing.............
Hope this helps you out..............

Nice work Dan. What size cutting bit is on the monster tool? I have a hunk of mesquite myself from someone here or sawmillcreek--I can't seem to remember who I traded wood with! Anyway, any hints for those working with handheld tools would be great--it may sit around for a while more; I have a lot of smaller forms to work before I get to that piece.

Looks promising so far. :thumb:

I know you and I both have some cobalt bits for the Monster tools, but I recently read that cobalt is really only an advantage in high temperature situations. like cutting steel at high speeds. Apparently at the cool temps seen with woodturning, it holds an edge no better than HSS.

Vaughn.............I dont know much about the differences when it comes to wood turning but I had bought some from Enco awhile back and use them for hollowing.......Do I see a difference ? Not really, and I would not say it holds a edge any longer than the HSS - It may or may not as I hollow a few different types or wood so I really cant say for sure - the price was almost the same ...on sale so I thought I would try them thinking they would hold a edge alot longer.............either way they hold up well but my next purchase will be HSS unless they are on sale again...............

Dan, that's been about my take on the cobalt cutters, too. Even at full price they're not outrageously expensive, and it was worth giving them a shot, but I sure haven't noticed a difference between them and the HSS ones.