Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame and Panel Cabinet Doors Question

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Frame and Panel Cabinet Doors Question

Good Morning:

This is a several part question.

At the the link below you can see both beaded and v-groove flat panel doors.

http://www.famarwoodworks.com/country-door.html

Here are my questions:

1. In a frame and panel door isn't the panel usually ply and the frame solid wood?

2. Since you can't make plywood with a v-groove or beaded, does that mean the panel is solid wood?

3. How do you make a beaded or v-groove panel?
    a) with power tools (router?)
    b) with hand tools?

Thanks,
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    Good Morning:

Here are my questions:

1. In a frame and panel door isn't the panel usually ply and the frame solid wood?the panel in alot of kitchen cabs are solid wood and the frame is solid as well

2. Since you can't make plywood with a v-groove or beaded, does that mean the panel is solid wood? yes

a) with power tools (router?)that is one method or you can do alot with a molder or molding head on a table saw
    b) with hand tools? and hand tools work as well using a scratch stock or specailty planes for such profiles.

Thanks,
    i have answered in red
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Cynthia, I'm no pro, but I've answered in blue after your questions as I understand the answers. Keep in mind you can often purchase V groove and bead board panels. Depending on the species of wood you are using, it might be hard to match. Jim

Good Morning:

This is a several part question.

At the the link below you can see both beaded and v-groove flat panel doors.

http://www.famarwoodworks.com/country-door.html

Here are my questions:

1. In a frame and panel door isn't the panel usually ply and the frame solid wood?
    If it is a flat panel, ply would be fine.
    2. Since you can't make plywood with a v-groove or beaded, does that mean the panel is solid wood?
    Don't tell the Home Centers that!!! Most likely, it is solid material. Just like if you were doing raised panel doors, you would use solid wood for the panel.
    a) with power tools (router?) This would be the easiest. There are V grooving router bits. Beaded panel might take a molder head in a table saw or RAS to do. And I hate molder heads.
    b) with hand tools? Not me!!

Thanks,
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

<b) with hand tools? and hand tools work as well using a scratch stock or specailty planes for such profiles.>

What's a "scratch stock"?
    AKA The Rookie

What's a "scratch stock"?
    Cynthia,

You can find some examples here.

They require a bit of patience, and making them isn't for the faint of heart!

Oh, and I vote with Jim on the molding heads. I have one, but I've never set it up. Scary stuff. I'll stick to my router table, thank you!

Thanks,

Bill

Take a look at this thread I did Cynthia.http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=14264

Everything here is made from plywood. The doors, face frames and the beaded panels. The only solid wood is the beaded edge on the face frames and the ogee moulding I put on the inside of the drawer fronts. Even the dovetailed drawers are plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Take a look at this thread I did Cynthia.http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=14264

Everything here is made from plywood. The doors, face frames and the beaded panels. The only solid wood is the beaded edge on the face frames and the ogee moulding I put on the inside of the drawer fronts. Even the dovetailed drawers are plywood.
    This is the part I don't understand.....If you cut beading or a v-groove in plywood, aren't you cutting through the veneer?
    AKA The Rookie

This is the part I don't understand.....If you cut beading or a v-groove in plywood, aren't you cutting through the veneer?
    Yes you are cutting thru the veneer. I guess it all depends on what your expecting the look to be. To me it helps to highlight the beading. Why do it if it's just gonna kind of blend in. We just did a high end entertainment center at work that had a v-groove back at the tv and the area above the tv. We used 3/4" cherry mdf for it. We used a brown glaze on the v-groove and a very light toner to just darken the cherry a bit. Looked awesome.

Ok, thanks Alan. I thought that if you cut through the veneer you turned into a pillar of salt or something. I didn't know that it's ok to cut through the veneer for different esthetic reasons and the panel wouldn't implode.

So the bottom line, if I understand correctly, is that to have a beaded or v-groove panel you can use solid wood *or* ply. THANKS
    AKA The Rookie

yup i think you got it cynthia but i have never used ply like alan talks but do see the benefits and possibilities of it. thanks for the explanation alan
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!