I want to take it apart in a year or four

Hi,

I wish to place a piece of one-eighth inch thick tempered masonite panel over the top of my bench. I would like to be able to replace it when it gets beat-up. In the past I have pinned the outside perimeter about every 6 inches and did not glue. This time I would like to glue it and omit pins so there is no metal in the top.

Somewhere, in the past, I read that diluting Original Titebond a certain amount with water would leave it strong enough for a bench "cover" yet make it easy to remove in a few years. I don't know what dilution was recommended and I'm not even certain it was the Titebond. In other words, "I don't know squat."

Any recommendations for attaching the temperboard in a way I can remove it later without destroying my bench top?
I did try Google search and I did try <titebond.com> without success.

Thanks and Enjoy.

Jim

I have been taking photos of the bench modification and the installation of the 12 inch Rockler vise. I will show them when the job is done.

Last edited:
Hide glue will hold and then a simple electric iron can release it, at a later date. Also diluted White glue, PVA glue, will steam loose.

I would go for rubber cement. It will hold and when you are ready to remove just pull up, it will peel off. However, unless you are some kind of bench killer monster, methinks the top will out last you.

I would go for rubber cement. It will hold and when you are ready to remove just pull up, it will peel off. However, unless you are some kind of bench killer monster, methinks the top will out last you.

I'll second the rubber cement suggestion. :thumb: Apply to both surfaces, let it get dry enough that you can touch the glue without having it stick to your fingers, then put the Masonite in place. (Be sure to have it aligned when you set it down, because it won't want to shift after the two surfaces make contact.) It'll stay as long as you want, but still be pretty easy to peel apart in a few years if necessary.