Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem for the experts

Problem for the experts

I run into this problem a lot and we deal with it very successfully. With damp towels and heavy granite slabs.

I asking what your method is for flatting out warped boards.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Talking Saw Norm deal with this very problem last week...

Norm wanted to keep some old wide boards, wide. He didn't want them to be ripped and re glued. They were cupped. He kerf cut the back side that was not going to show, pressed them down, glued up his panel and then filled the kerf cuts (about half the thickness of the board) with epoxy thickened filler. Seemed to do the trick, the strength of the board was maintained and the cup was taken out. Obviously this wouldn't work if both sides were to be finished bright and be visible.

Thickened epoxy is great stuff, I use it all the time in boat building.

Tom...

I am not a X-Spurt:

X = Un known

Spurt = Drip Under Pressure

Boat Builder too?

Dave, Are you a boat builder too?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Concrete drive way, wet towels, front wheel of my pickup truck...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Morning Dew, back yard sun shine... I usually try to place the board on the morning lawn, the sun will draw the moisture from the ground and into the cupped side of the board. watch it closely to stop just as it begins to straighten. Waiting too long (second cup of coffee) might allow it to turn the other way.

I have been successful several time with this.

Don that will work too LOL

Bill placing a heavy object will prevent the 2nd cup. Like a car front tire.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Morning Dew, back yard sun shine... I usually try to place the board on the morning lawn, the sun will draw the moisture from the ground and into the cupped side of the board. watch it closely to stop just as it begins to straighten. Waiting too long (second cup of coffee) might allow it to turn the other way.

Cupped side up or down??
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post

Wouldn't work in Arizona, no morning dew.. No lawn either...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Bob, cup side down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Cupped side up or down??
    Hump up, Cup down... Moisture from the ground (in normal moist soils not associated with Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, etc.) Dew slowly enters the wood whilst the Sun dries the other side causing the plank to seek new shape, Watch it closely as it seems to sit there and all of a sudden it happens, weights like tires mounted on vehicles may momentary flatten but there is stress withinn the wood (woodworking is suppose to be a stress relief so why introduce stress to the formula?) let it happen in due time and watch it and rescue the piece at the right time, sticker stack at the point where it is straight and allow it to stablize.