I Found A New Way To Get A Clean Shop

Hi

In the past I posted that I cleaned the shop because the hot water tank peed all over the shop floor. Everything was wet and everything had to be moved.

Well I found a new “Dry Cleaning” method to accomplish about the same thing.

I purchased a new Rockler 12” vise. This required a major revamp on the end of my workbench (There will be a separate post on the bench revamp and vise mounting when the job is done).

Since I was messing with the bench anyway I decided to replace the one-eighth thick tempered Masonite cover (top, skin, work surface, whatever you want to call it). After I had all of the dog holes placed in the oversized Masonite top I wanted to trim it to fit. The Colt router I have is great for small, light jobs like this so I used it instead of a heavier router with dust collection. BIG mistake.

I had dark brown dust in everything---including my shoes. There was brown dust on the bench, under the bench, in between the stickers on my wood storage, in the crevices of my foot stool, all over the big power tools, in the crack in the cement floor, on (and for gosh sakes, under) the floor mats, etc. It was all over me---I had to shower and shampoo because I would not want to wake up tomorrow with a brown pillowcase from dust in my hair. Now the shop has been well dusted and because I was moving everything anyway; the shop ended up more orderly.

Next time I think I will just dust the place and skip the dry cleaning cause.

Enjoy,

Jim

Oh yes, I didn’t want that Masonite to slip so I put dogs in several holes, used clamps and added weight. Enjoy the pic.View attachment 46460

Last edited:
Sorry to read about your brown dust troubles, Jim. Sounds like you needed to hook up the leaf blower, open the doors and windows, and blow everything out.

The new bench top is gonna be nice, though. Looks like you were scrounging for anything heavy to put on the top, but c'mon...do you think the vacuum brush and DC remote are really helping much? :rolleyes: :rofl:

Yeah, that masonite makes some NASTY dust....

Hmm, My workbench is looking pretty beat up. It could probably use a new top one of these days...

you guys are missing the best part,, can you imagine what he looked like:eek: kinda like a waffel cone with whipped cream on top.. and even that may have been salted some as well:0