Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: flirting with danger?

new york city burbs

flirting with danger?

Cherry is so expensive in the northeast.(well, downstate at least)
    Its well over 6 bucks a bf in any lumber yard on Long Island.(some have it at 8.00 a bf)
    I found a guy across the state line, with fair prices, and although they deliver out of state for mainly commercial accounts, Im going to get a break on shipping and will let them send me the lumber whenever they have a truck coming out my way, they will piggyback my order on with someone elses order.
    Over 200 bf without seeing it?
    Living dangerously?

Outside the beltway
    Got to trust your seeing eye guy. If he did me wrong one time that would be it for him.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::

Decatur, Alabama
    If it's a fair price, I'd go for it. $6/bf seems very high compared to what prices you see down here, although it's hit/miss even finding any in alabama without a tax exempt id/business license.

If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. If it's a legit comercial supplier at a reasonable price I don't think you'll have much to fear.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I buy my common cherry from this guy. $2.15 bf
    His prices are listed in the lumber section.
    If you want to pre buy from him I can pick it up and meet you half way. Hartford maybe.
    It's common so you have more waste than the good stuff but it's pretty inexpensive.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Reno NV
    I ordered 500bf of lumber from North Carolina sight unseen. Prices, including shipping, made it pretty reasonable compared to the lumber yards I've seen out here. Still not as cheap of lumber as you guys get, but was a pretty good deal to me...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Delton, Michigan
    cherry is so common in my parts that we use for pallet stock
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

new york city burbs
    pallet stock?

I looked all around and I cant do much better than 5 bucks give or take 20 cents a bf, and then there is the transport of it from lumber yard to me.
    The only thing I can save around here is shipping, so I was pretty happy if I can cut my shipping costs down by not giving any specific time I need it and get it shipped when they have a truck in the area.
    Ill know by tomorrow what its all gonna cost me.
    Ive done well so far with hardwoods, so Im not complaining about the price, just a bit wary of ordering something without seeing it.
    I asked the guy questions, about clarity of lumber and all that, and he told me its all clear and select.
    Last edited by allen levine; 06-21-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Oliver Springs, TN
    I can get it for 4.00 bd/ft. FAS from a local family ran mom and pop face frame shop. If I get it from a supplier it's in the 6 to 8 range.

I agree with Dave, I'd try it, but if I got burnt I'd be done with it.
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 06-22-2010 at 02:19 AM.

new york city burbs
    I dont have all the info, dont even know the shipping costs yet, but its coming later in the week I was told.
    I will hold off posting anything till I see the wood and if I got what I asked for.(6 inch width preferred, no more than 12 foot lengths, 8-12 footers)

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    $4.50 for 4/4 in phoenix, 6.50 for 8/4.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward