flirting with danger?

allen levine

Cherry is so expensive in the northeast.(well, downstate at least)
Its well over 6 bucks a bf in any lumber yard on Long Island.(some have it at 8.00 a bf)
I found a guy across the state line, with fair prices, and although they deliver out of state for mainly commercial accounts, Im going to get a break on shipping and will let them send me the lumber whenever they have a truck coming out my way, they will piggyback my order on with someone elses order.
Over 200 bf without seeing it?
Living dangerously?

If it's a fair price, I'd go for it. $6/bf seems very high compared to what prices you see down here, although it's hit/miss even finding any in alabama without a tax exempt id/business license.

If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. If it's a legit comercial supplier at a reasonable price I don't think you'll have much to fear.

I ordered 500bf of lumber from North Carolina sight unseen. Prices, including shipping, made it pretty reasonable compared to the lumber yards I've seen out here. Still not as cheap of lumber as you guys get, but was a pretty good deal to me...

pallet stock?

I looked all around and I cant do much better than 5 bucks give or take 20 cents a bf, and then there is the transport of it from lumber yard to me.
The only thing I can save around here is shipping, so I was pretty happy if I can cut my shipping costs down by not giving any specific time I need it and get it shipped when they have a truck in the area.
Ill know by tomorrow what its all gonna cost me.
Ive done well so far with hardwoods, so Im not complaining about the price, just a bit wary of ordering something without seeing it.
I asked the guy questions, about clarity of lumber and all that, and he told me its all clear and select.

Last edited:
I can get it for 4.00 bd/ft. FAS from a local family ran mom and pop face frame shop. If I get it from a supplier it's in the 6 to 8 range.

I agree with Dave, I'd try it, but if I got burnt I'd be done with it.

Last edited:
I dont have all the info, dont even know the shipping costs yet, but its coming later in the week I was told.
I will hold off posting anything till I see the wood and if I got what I asked for.(6 inch width preferred, no more than 12 foot lengths, 8-12 footers)

5.10 for 4/4, a bit less for 8/4, 5.25 for 5/4 is what I think I was told.

I wanted to go with hondurian mahogany, but the guy my wood guy hooked me up with is strictly commercial sales, will not consider less than 500 bf, and at 6.20 a bf, I had to pass.

Im content working with cherry, although never really handled it much, I did mistake it for one of the sapeles/mahoganys, and I loved the way it machined.(I had made a bottom for my stairway post out of it originally)
I ended up cutting the edges off of those, and making cutting boards out of the remainder.
This cherry will be mixed with maple, and ash and I have a few projects Id like to use it on.
this should keep me in wood for many moons with what Ive bought already, so this is my last wood purchase for a while.

Last edited:
100$ for delivery! Seriously, that's a good deal. You don't want to know what I have paid to have wood shipped...

its arrived. I always thought cherry was darker and more reddish like mahogany. Oh well. Im going to count it all up now. There are no knots, a few bad spots, but the boards are pretty flat and clear.

Attachments

• bed 429 (Medium).jpg
    bed 429 (Medium).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 30
  • bed 430 (Medium).jpg
    bed 430 (Medium).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 26
  • bed 434 (Medium).jpg
    bed 434 (Medium).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 21
  • bed 436 (Medium).jpg
    bed 436 (Medium).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 21
its arrived. I always thought cherry was darker and more reddish like mahogany...

Allen,
Your cherry will darken nicely over time, and with exposure to sunlight.

As a test, just take a small piece, and put a piece of duck tape across it. Leave it out in the sun for a day or two, then remove the tape. You'll be amazed at the 'suntan' the exposed portion gets.

A less desirable version of this is making a table, then putting a lamp on it and leave it by a window. Move the lamp after a week, or a month, or whatever, and you'll be dismayed at what the tabletop looks like! Leave the lamp off, and wait another while, though, and it'll all even out. Interesting, but sometimes a bit frustrating...

the count was not right.
three different thicknesses I ordered all three were miscounted.
There was an excuse, and I will get a credit, but I shouldnt have to be counting the wood so close. 1200 dollars worth of wood, it should be done with a bit of wood knowledge.
I counted it three times, and each time I get around the same, but I change my numbers giving benefit of doubt, like if its 7.5 inches, Ill count it as 8. I normally wouldnt.
I knew from the start I had a miscount, since there are ends of boards marked 10, and they are only 9 feet.
IM getting credit, but this has left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess Im spoiled with my wood guy, and didnt realize I have to watch a lumber yard like a hawk. To me, its ridiculous, 1200 bucks and a new customer. Take a bit of pride and make the customer come back.
Next time I want lumber, Im going to drive to whereever, and hand count and pick each board, and if the lumber guy doesnt like it, I wont buy from him.