Reprint of The Essential Woodworker

Bill Satko

I see where Lost Art Press now has a reprint available of Robert Wearing's The Essential Woodworker. I managed to score a wonderful used copy of this book for a great price some time ago. I can't recommend this enough for those of you who are interested in woodworking using "hand tools and English methods".

Although I did not, many have paid over $100 dollars for a used copy of this book, especially after Chris Schwarz of Popular Woodworking talked it up on his blog. Lost Art Press is offering a new printing for the pre-sale price of $23 plus $4 shipping.

Great book!

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2010/0...ial+Woodworker+And+Download+The+Book+Now.aspx

Well, Based on your advice, I just ordered it. :thumb:

Sharon, it is my fault! :eek: I should have PM'd you that I was going to post about something he could buy, so that you could distract him somehow. You know how these ADHD kids are, get their attention on something new and everything else is forgotten.:D

Got my 'Lectronic copy already! Looks like a great read :thumb:

But I spend enough time staring at this lighted screen... Looking forward to actually reading the book...

Got my 'Lectronic copy already! Looks like a great read :thumb:

But I spend enough time staring at this lighted screen... Looking forward to actually reading the book...

I spent last night, looking through my own copy of the book. It really does give a good approach to how English woodworkers of a certain era approached building furniture by hand. It is the perfect book for woodworkers moving toward the hand tool side of things.

As for other books that I found beneficial in my journery of butchering wood with hand tools:

1. Most anything by Charles Hayward, except Junior Woodworker. I have seen it, and it just is too lightweight. I have most of his other books. If you only could get one of his books, it would be Woodwork Joints.

2. The Complete Woodworker by Bernard Jones. Also the Practical Woodworker is good, just incorporates more information not just furniture related. I have them both.

I have a lot of other books in this field, but these are probably the one I would recommend to anyone. I really enjoy books, so my collection is larger than most. Good tip if you are not sure if a used book might be interesting, see if it is the public domain and is available for viewing through Google Books. Even though there is a pdf version of a old book, I still prefer to buy a "real" copy. An electronic copy is just not the same. Nice to have both.

As for finding used books, I use bookfinder.com.

Happy reading!