Thread: Micro-Kerf Saw Blade

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

Micro-Kerf Saw Blade

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22633

This months issue of ShopNotes ( Vol 19 Issue 112 ) has an article about the 1/16th kerf saw blade shown on the above Rockler product page.

Has anyone used it? When would you use it? Why would you want to use it? Their claim is that it takes less power to use than a standard kerf.

Just curious if anyone has any feedback on it.

Jiggs Elphison

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jiggs,
    I did a review on the Freud thin curf blade and it does indeed draw less power. You can get some very nice rips with it glue line rips that eliminate having to edge joint the board prior to glue up. The freud is not as thin as the rockler but it also is 1/3 the price. The review is in this thread. Link
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

jiggs if i were to buy a new blade it would be the freud line.. thin kerf or full kerf. they have done me very well, i have a WWII that i would trade for a freud any day of the week, the red coating is slick too.. now the orange ones are good as well but freuds are easier to get.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Jiggs,

I see the value of very thin kerf like the Rockler for cutting the lid off of boxes. Thinner the kerf and better the grain will match up from lid to box proper. If I were mostly a box maker, I might get one.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I just measured my Freyd and the curf is 3/32" just 1/32 wider the the rockler at 1/3 the3 price...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward