Thread: Making Pipe Handles

Making Pipe Handles

Last night at my house our local group came over and made handles. I went to Lowes and bought 10' galvinized 3/4 inch pipe. I had them cut it into 2ft lengths for handles. The first picture is the drilling station. Each person drilled two holes for the set screws and two holes for the screen spline. They then went to the vise to tap the holes for the set screws and finally to the lathe to put the spline on the handle. It went really well and everyone was happy with how they turned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norm.jpg   Tapping.jpg   Spline.jpg   Handles.jpg   Final Handles.jpg  

"Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

Ok Pete i know i gotta have my glasses on when i read the forum but you got the Chuck Thoits tiny picture disease. Any chance of making them so we can see them?
    cheers

Miniature tools & elves to use them whatch ya need pipe handle for such small tools for anyhow?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Sorry about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01428_2.jpg   DSC01430_2.jpg   DSC01431_2.jpg   DSC01432_2.jpg   DSC01435.jpg  

DSC01437.jpg  

Tom Waits

Much better. Those handles look like they'll work great. Hard to beat the price, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Those look pretty good. What did you use for the spline/wrap cord, and how is it attached at the back end? Not knowing much about pipe and tubing, is 3/4 the inside diameter of the pipe? Is is accurate enough to take 3/4" HSS tools? THanks.

Here is where I got the idea, Ken.
    http://www.artisticwoodturners.com/R...toolhandle.htm

It does take 3/4 inch tools

Tom Waits

Pretty cool idea, but what about the weight... aren't they heavier than wood handles... I would imagine on hogging off wood there would be less movement in the handle than with wood, but for every day use, they would seem heavy to me.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Pretty cool idea, but what about the weight... aren't they heavier than wood handles... I would imagine on hogging off wood there would be less movement in the handle than with wood, but for every day use, they would seem heavy to me.
    The weight can be an advantage. Like you mentioned, it's handy when roughing out a piece and hogging a lot of wood, but it also helps smooth out the ride on regular cuts too...at least it does for me. All of my good gouges are in metal handles (the ones from Monster Lathe Tools) and I've gotten accustomed to and comfortable with the extra weight. Now when I pick up one of my wood-handled tools, it doesn't feel right to me...too light. For some of my tools, I've even made them heavier by adding lead shot to the hollow handles. I've got a 3/4" Thompson gouge in a Monster handle, and with lead added, it weighs nearly 5 pounds. It's a wood-eatin' machine for hogging, but I also like using it for finishing cuts as well, since the 3/4" gouge has more edge to work with and thus can go longer between sharpenings. (I even like to use the 3/4" gouge for making bottle stoppers and pens.) At the other end of the weight scale, I've got a 3/8" Thompson detail gouge in another Monster handle (without the lead shot), and it's a bit over 1 pound.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Whete do the tool bits come from.. Are they metal cutting HSS blanks?
    Thanks