Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing around with Ebonising.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Playing around with Ebonising.

I wanted to see how differant wood reacted to the ebonising solution. Sat I put some schredded steel wool in a containier of vinager and let it sit for a couple a days. Today I took some wood and put it in the solution to see how each one would react.

ther wood is from left to right, Mahogany, red Oak and maple. the oak and maple I just dunked in for a few minutes and the mahogany I let soak for an hour or so. I cut the mahogany in half to see how far it penetrated.

I'll play around with these and other species of wood and vary the soak times and let you know the results. I want to let the solution age a little longer , they say it won't reach full potency till it's a week old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1606.JPG  
    Last edited by Don Baer; 06-22-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

what you did not do cherry, cherry is a nicer looking wood. Nice experament Don.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Dave, I'll be doing cherry, walnut any kind a wood I can get my hands on..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

In comparing the grain and final look, the mahogany comes closest to real ebony. I tried taking come conparison shots but they didn't turn out very well.
    May need to set up a tent to get proper pictures..

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Please keep me informed as i have some steel wool in vinigar out in the shop. hoping that it will work for me as it seems it does for ya all.

Don I think you will find that cherry has a better look and the garin lens it's self to the finishing process better. Not as much sanding is needed therefore no sand through. Another thing nice with cherry you can get a very nice rub through look with the cherry by sanding with 600 wet sand to bring out the suttle color changes from the ebony to the dark cherry.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

I have 'kinda' experimented with the ole vinegar and steel wool thing too. Mine was not a happy experience. I had it in a glass mason jar and put on the steel shelves where I keep a lot of my turning supplies. The solution sorta creeped out and corroded the shelves and rusted some tools and things. Sorta reminiscent of what Vaughn recently experienced, albeit to a much lesser extent. My limited experience is that it works very well on oak.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

LOL Frank , plain old water works good on oak

Walnut on the left and sapili on the right.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1615.JPG  

Lifght sanding an 1 coat of shellac,

Left to right , walnut, ,Mahogany, sapili, oak and maple
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1616.JPG