Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holmes on Homes

Holmes on Homes

I was just wondering if any of you guys watch Holmes on Homes. I enjoy
    watching the show to learn what I can from it, although I don't do carpentry
    work on my house to the extent that he does on the show. I journeyed over
    to the Journal of Light Construction site to see what pros on that forum thought of him. Some thought he was good for the construction trades by
    exposing shoddy work by some contractors while others hated him as they felt
    he was lumping all contractors in the same barrel, therefore, hurting the good
    contractors. I personally think he is good for the homebuilding industry but
    was wondering if any of you all watch his show, and what is your opinion of
    him. I will have to admit, that at times, he does seem to have a condescending attitude toward his fellow contractors but his show only exposes the work of contractors who obviously take shortcuts and leave their
    client hanging.

Love the show! I have learned a lot. Only thing I question is the issue of vapor barrier and how it applies in different climates. I live the PNW and I am seeing some material which suggests that using plastic sheeting in my climate may create more problems. Other than that, I am impressed and enjoy the show. We catch all the re-runs. I also would be interested to hear how people in the business view his opinions and practices.

if you are referring to the tyvek material, it seems to cut down on drafts and does allow moisture to disapate threw it when applied correctly. at least it has for me bill. but is a pain to put up in a windy day.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    if you are referring to the tyvek material, it seems to cut down on drafts and does allow moisture to disapate threw it when applied correctly. at least it has for me bill. but is a pain to put up in a windy day.
    No, I am talking about installing a vapor barrier that does not allow water vapor to pass through. This would be plastic sheeting that would be installed on the warm side of the insulation (between the studs and drywall) in a predominately heating climate (like Michigan). It would prevent the warm water vapor from inside of the house passing toward the outside where it would condense after it passed through the warm insulation and hit the cold. Water would then collect on the inside of the exterior sheeting and studs. Problem is if you don't install right, you have just concentrated where the water vapor will pass and probably will have rot at the failure point. Old houses were so poor insulated and leaky that they did not have this problem. New houses are so much tighter that the problem exists.

I have heard conflicting advice whether it is recommended for our climate, even though it is supposedly a heating climate.

House wrap is at most a vapor retarder and that is a good thing, because it would be on the wrong side of the insulation for your climate. It would rot out your studs in no time at all. It is installed to prevent wind intrustion mostly.

I watch it all the time and I'm impressed with the quality of work his people do. It seems they make sure everything is done to the Nth degree. It does surprise me how some contractors rip off their customers (the bay window episode comes to mind) and I find Mike's love of spray foam a bit over the top sometimes, but, other than that, an enjoyable program.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    hmmm never seen it, I guess I'll have to look for it. There is a local builder who's name is Holmes and the sign on his development says Holmes Homes.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I watch it all the time and I'm impressed with the quality of work his people do. It seems they make sure everything is done to the Nth degree. It does surprise me how some contractors rip off their customers (the bay window episode comes to mind) and I find Mike's love of spray foam a bit over the top sometimes, but, other than that, an enjoyable program.
    Depending how the real estate market is doing next year, we may sell and build a house on some land we have. We have talked about getting a life size poster of Mike, cut is out and paste it on plywood and mount on the jobsite. You know the pose, him standing there with his arms folded in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Depending how the real estate market is doing next year, we may sell and build a house on some land we have. We have talked about getting a life size poster of Mike, cut is out and paste it on plywood and mount on the jobsite. You know the pose, him standing there with his arms folded in front.
    Same psychology as used by headhunters who place skulls on poles surrounding their village?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I enjoy watching the show when I get the chance.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Holmes on Homes

One observation that I have made which was brought out by members of the
    Journal of Light Construction forum is the fact that he seems to use screws in
    preference to nails in many cases. I have watched him use screws in putting
    up wall studs in place of nails. I think that is a bit of overkill and probably
    more expensive than using nails. There was some discussion also about a deck that he built using screws instead of nails. His reasoning was that if the
    deck ever had to be taken apart, it would be easier unscrewing it than having
    to pry it apart, and it could be reassembled somewhere else if that's what the
    owner wanted to do. This really got the pros stirred up and I have to agree
    with them as drywall type screws (apparently that was what they thought he
    used) have no shear strength. Certainly not as compared to nails. I used 16d
    galvanized nails when I built my deck back in '90. My next door neighbor
    actually used coarse thread drywall screws to put his deck together and I made the comment to my wife that I sure hoped it held together. Amazingly,
    so far it has! Maybe Mike Holmes knows something about building a deck
    with screws that I don't know, but anyhow, it sure got the pro's up in the
    air. If you want to read their comments, go to the Journal of Light Construct-
    ion forums and go to Trade talk. I think it is on page 3 or 4 or somewhere
    along in there where his show is discussed. I enjoyed reading it.