Naga-somebody high priced table

Frank Fusco

Was watching Antiques Roadshow the other night. This couple had a table that was made by a Japanese artist, named Naga-something-or-other.
It was a pretty crude and simple thing. Four inch thick triangular top, maybe three feet at widest point. Set on a simple spindle leg with three feet. Appraised at over $9000.00. I have seen this guys work featured in other places also. His benches are no different than many puncheon benches found in farm yards. With a thick slab of wood, anyone here could make one in an hour. A local man sells similar made from red cedar for $30 to $50. No doubt, if it had that Japanese artists name on them, they would be about $10,000.00. I just don't understand. :huh:
Same with woodturning. Nice bowl: $30.00. Same bowl but cracked: call it art: $300.00. Oh, well. :doh:

Frank,

I think that may be George Nakashima. 9K would be a steal for one of his tables. He's actually one of the two heroes of many woodworkers (Krenov would be the other) I've known. His "The Soul of a Tree" is one of the books that got me into all this. He passed away a number of years ago. And his life story is pretty compelling. When he moved to Pa. he had literally nothing. Built a house with his own hands, one room at a time, so he and his family could live there once he got it started. He learned woodworking while he was in a concentration camp in the 40's. Really a fascinating guy. You can check some of his work here: http://www.nakashimawoodworker.com/work1.htm

and his book is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Tree-Mas..._bbs_sr_2/104-2452408-5324718?ie=UTF8&s=books

hmmm... hope that works. If it doesn't, just go to amazon.com and search on his name. One of the things he and Krenov have in common is they let the wood speak as they make the piece they're working on. I'm still at a stage where I'm trying to force the wood to do what I want... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Hi William,
Thanks for the valuable input and welcome to family woodworking :wave: .
With this interesting collection of work I can see how one's facination with woodworking could be kindled or rekindled.
Shaz :D

Frank,

I think that may be George Nakashima. 9K would be a steal for one of his tables. He's actually one of the two heroes of many woodworkers (Krenov would be the other) I've known. His "The Soul of a Tree" is one of the books that got me into all this. He passed away a number of years ago. And his life story is pretty compelling. When he moved to Pa. he had literally nothing. Built a house with his own hands, one room at a time, so he and his family could live there once he got it started. He learned woodworking while he was in a concentration camp in the 40's. Really a fascinating guy. You can check some of his work here: http://www.nakashimawoodworker.com/work1.htm

and his book is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Tree-Mas..._bbs_sr_2/104-2452408-5324718?ie=UTF8&s=books

hmmm... hope that works. If it doesn't, just go to amazon.com and search on his name. One of the things he and Krenov have in common is they let the wood speak as they make the piece they're working on. I'm still at a stage where I'm trying to force the wood to do what I want... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Yep, that's the guy. I wasn't trying to ridicule his name or character. But, still, IMHO, his tables and benches look primitive and crude to me. They are somewhere around Boy Scout skill level. I have seen thousands of puncheon tables and benches in farms and resorts that are, at least, equal. But, an artists reputation is what sells. Who can define art? :dunno: I can't. Saw an art gallery once that sold broken toilets for about $5000.00 each. Go figger.

Yep, that's the guy. I wasn't trying to ridicule his name or character. But, still, IMHO, his tables and benches look primitive and crude to me. They are somewhere around Boy Scout skill level. I have seen thousands of puncheon tables and benches in farms and resorts that are, at least, equal. But, an artists reputation is what sells. Who can define art? :dunno: I can't. Saw an art gallery once that sold broken toilets for about $5000.00 each. Go figger.

frank, george nakashima, and now his daughter have built some really cool stuff...long before "natural-edge" was in vogue.......a cantilevered chair design pops into my head as one of the designs that i really like....you should spend some time reading about the `ol man and some of the trials he put his daughter through before handing over the reins to the business....then look at the wood stash they have! i think it dwarfs sam maloofs......definately well above "boy scout" level! in fact most of us who are serious `bout woodbutcherie aspire to create stuff as timely and as well exicuted.....tod

I have to agree with Frank; some of Nakashima's work looks like it isn't finished or, in the case of one of the dining tables I saw, it looks like a giant dog had been trying to eat the top. I don't think I'd want to sit down at a dining table that had a spot that would catch and tear my clothing. It may be "art", but it's certainly not -IMHO - usable furniture.

Nancy

Here's some "Nagashima style" furniture.... http://www.dumonds.com/index.html

Sure wish I could make crude, primitive, Boy Scout level stuff like George pioneered. But to do so, I'd probably have to buy a few more clamps.....:doh:

:rofl::rofl:

No doubt, he made some stunning beautiful furniture. But, I'll stick with the Boy Scout anology for the natural edge stuff. And, respectfully, disagree with the "pioneered" statement. Folks have been making crude, natural edge slab furniture since they came out of the caves.
As for the artist part, maybe I should get a bunch of old toilet and a sledgehammer, declare myself an artist, and make a fortune. :rolleyes:

Frank,

Maybe you could get together with the guys in the ditech.com commercials, and start a studio..... :rofl:

Don't forget to get a good set of gloves for that sledgehammer handle...:eek:

Who can define art? :dunno: I can't.

Frank,

In a previous life, I spent a couple decades teaching. One of my primary subjects was Aesthetics, and I used to hear this from students all the time. What I always told them when they asked "who can define Art?" was "you do!" We make decisions about this stuff literally every day.The whole point of thinking about such things is to be able to make judgements about what's true, what's actually good, and what's beautiful. I think your feelings on this imply that art should have a certain level of skill, something which I'd agree with. We might disagree on the nature of the skill, but that's a minor point. Someone else argued that art should be practical, and I'd also agree with that.

What he did, and what others who were inspired by him now do, is far different from what I do. But maybe that's because I simply don't have enough experience, or don't have access to the resources he eventually had: he used to buy all his wood in 'boule' form, and there's no way I could afford that. Or maybe I'm just, by nature, a pragmatist, as I suspect most of us are.

When I first saw Krenov's work, I wanted to make a cabinet like he made. But Doorlink said she wouldn't want something like that in *her* house. Since I'm pragmatic, you can probably guess that cabinet is still unmade... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Frank,
I hear what you're saying. I will state that natural edge furniture is not for me. BUT as a Designer, I understand the philosophic and craft implications of Nakashima's work. Putting his work into context, he was working in a environment that was celebrating man made/manufactured products. In many ways he was taking the philosophy of the earlier Arts and Crafts movement to the roots of furniture making.
You are correct in many ways with the "boyscout" analogy - the aesthetic reflects, or better yet, celebrates the craft of hand made furniture. These pieces can be seen as a response or counterpoint to the chrome, Formica, high gloss of the '40s 50's and 60's. Each piece of wood was allowed to visually "speak" for itself. His work is very introspective and spiritual in nature - in a good sense, versus the BS self promoting sense. Each piece of wood was made into the type of furniture that would allow the wood to be the focal point - not the "design" or Designer. If you ever see any of his work in person, it is obvious that the craftsmanship is of the highest caliber.
His work helped to spawn a renewed interest in the craft, versus the manufacturing of furniture. It is important to not, that a good deal of his furniture was of a more standard (not natural edge) design, that was being celebrated at the time of its introduction.
With all that said, all that is really important is to view the work in context - the time and culture in which it was produced. Whether we like the design/style or not - it did have an impact on future works and his contemporaries.

Wow, when I get going I can lay it on thick!!:D :rolleyes: Anyhow, that's kinda the Design/Art side of Nakashima's work as I see it. Frank, I don't want to come off as some arrogant, intellectual poofter (though I might ;)), just my attempt at giving some explanation for the high price tag and accolades given to Nakashima. Now if you want to talk about toilets - how about Duchamp's classic 1917 fountain! No, I'm not kidding.:rofl:

FWIW,
Wes

Attachments

• Duchamp_Fountaine.jpg
    Duchamp_Fountaine.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Oh this is a great thread! We need more like this!

If you haven't seen his stuff in person it is had to understand the underlying craftsmanship.

I had a chance to visit his studio in NJ several years ago. I admit that it is a bit like going to a shrine, but it still is a working studio/display gallery and it was fun to meet some of the craftsman that work there.

And the WOOD THAT HE BOUGHT AND IS STILL STORED FOR FUTURE PROJECTS is not to be believed.

I think that some of the finishes that one sees on his pieces have simply not been maintained. I think wipe on oil finishes are a bit fragile and some of that stuff could be 40? years old at least. If someone didn't take care of it the piece is bound to look a bit ratty after that amount of time.

Jay

Yesterday on another site one of Krenov's cabinets was deemed to be something a high school class would turn out. One poster even thought it would be improved by hanging a router in it.

Today Nakashima get's some here.

Hans Wegner is still available for a good slamming, perhaps tomorrow.

When wood is interpreted and sold as art

it should be open to and deserves criticism.

So I don't think Frank is bashing anybody.

I also cringe at the peer/cult factor that drives up

prices for a must have designer.

But as Mr. Lantry states, who defines art? you do, is true only

when that decision is born of the heart and mind and not

the collectible factor or what Beardsly down at the club says

is a must have item.

Per

I appreciate the defense, I am not trying to bash anyone. I don't understand the hoopla over his natural edge furniture, it looks primitive and simple to me.
And I'm glad Jay, and maybe others are enjoying this thread.
Truly, I don't know what defines art. Not long ago I was in the Arkansas Art Museum in Little Rock with my wife. I quickly gave up trying to enjoy and sat down to wait for her. Along the wall where I was sitting were many paintings (at least, I THINK they were paintings). While looking I mused to myself (I muse a lot ;) ) "Just how does the curator decide that these are art paintings and not the aftermath of some kindergärtner vomiting on paper?" :huh: Oh, well.
That said, I gotta brag, I am officially an artist. :eek: Yeppers, that's wat the lady said. Last year someone saw some of my pens and told the owner of an upscale art gallery in Little Rock about them. She asked me to show her some of my pens which I did. She then invited me to place some in the gallery for sale, which I did. And there they are selling. She even put me on her web site. http://www.rivermarketartspace.com/
So, y'all got a geenuwine Ozarks arteest amongst y'all. Gotta go now, got an appointment with some old toilets and a sledgehammer. :rofl:

Nakashima is what many consider an artist. There are many that call Maloof an artist also. I consider Maloof a master craftsman. He also would rather be thought of as a craftsman. I think a major difference is that while someone like Nakashima may build a 1 of a kind piece that has some appeal to art lovers. Maloof on the other hand builds beautiful furniture. He can duplicate any piece he makes and does often. He is constantly improving how he does things and his pieces reflect an evolution. I personally don't care for Nakashima's art but I love Maloof's pieces.

Frank,

I think I see a little natural edge on your Artisan Pencil. You should definitely charge extra for that. :D

2.jpg

But the pen really won't go up much in price until you pass away. :( Then the latest owner could get a $10k appraisal on the Antique Road Show 2076.

BTW, those are great lookin pens and pencils. Hoping you don't leave this earth anytime soon.
rick

Last edited:
Frank - all you needs is a butterfly inlay to hold that natural crack together. Nah, looks just great the way it was.

Could it be you started this post just to pull our chains?
J

Attachments

• fusco artisan pencil with butterfly inlay.jpg
    fusco artisan pencil with butterfly inlay.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2
There are many things I see that I can make, or I can paint, or I can do,that are receiving acclaim. It is imaginable that the original has worth, just as an invention or a prototype greater than my reproduction and rightfully so. Ideas my friends, :soapbox: make them YOURS and make them in wood!!!! :rofl: :rofl: BLAH BLAH BLAH :D
Shaz

Last edited: