USPS dropped off a package...Too quick for the A-Line-It Jig I ordered....

Jim O'Dell

A little history. I opted in for the Plane giveaway that Dan Gonzales offered up in May, and said something about not having any planes and working on something that I could use one on. Well, I'm not sure if I have this right or not, but it appears Mr. Ambassador made one available, had Brent Dowell PM me for my address, and Ken Werner mailed out a Stanley #5. That is what USPS dropped off. DSCN2697.jpgDSCN2701.jpg I'm blown away!!!!! I took the pictures of it on top of the project I was working on that I could have used it on. As you can see, I was able to work around not having one. But it would have been so much easier with this.

Thank You!!! to all who were involved in this. I don't feel I deserve your gift, but you all definitely have my gratitude!

But you aren't off the hook yet.:rofl::rofl: Someone needs to write a primmer or point me to a web site on how to tune this thing up!!! Jim.

Had no clue that is what happened with the plane Ken had:eek: I know Larry bought it but no more. I thought it was an addition to his stash of planes. I was at the ambassador's just tonight and was going to ask to see the plane he got from Ken and forgot to ask, and now I see it's with you, AWESOME:thumb: SUPER job Larry and to all else involved:thumb:. give aways are the best, more so when you don't know your are receiving a give away:thumb::thumb::thumb: Enjoy and make good use of that plane Jim:D Ken, maybe you can do a tutorial of the ABC's of sharpening and setup??? the short time I had with you and Larry expanded my knowledge 10X at a minimum AND have put to use:thumb::D

Congrats, Jim. :thumb: Ain't surprises like this great?

...Brent, doesn't look like you do PMs, so let me thank you here for your part in this. Jim.

Are you getting an error message when trying to send to him? Maybe his Inbox is full? I'll look under the hood and see if I can see anything. He's a Mod, so his PM stuff should be working.

My part in the conspiracy was trivial, I assure you. It's all them other guys faults! :thumb:

Congrats on the 'new' plane! :D

I'm glad to have played a minor role in this, but the real credit goes to the Ambassador. He's the man.

Tom, I'm glad my little demo was of some use. I think sharpening is one of those things that is best taught in person. I'd be glad to do a tutorial, but I'm not sure I can add anything to instructions already widely published. There's a good article in the current FWW that really nails the essentials.

I think sharpening is one of those things that is best taught in person. I'd be glad to do a tutorial, but I'm not sure I can add anything to instructions already widely published. There's a good article in the current FWW that really nails the essentials.

I think you are right Ken, lots of info has already been posted and published. I do believe I told you when you were here that I have read the books, listened to the stories, but nothing is better then in person. Watching some one who is passionate in what they are doing, to me is priceless, THANKS AGAIN Ken:)

Man i love these things and this forum. These acts restore my faith in humanity. I am so happy for you Jim I think tomorrow i will go out and use one of my planes just to celebrate.:):thumb:;)

Larry, Brent , Ken...I tip my hat to all of you. What great thought and observation. The big guys is watching out for you.;):wave:

I'm glad to have played a minor role in this, but the real credit goes to the Ambassador. He's the man.

Tom, I'm glad my little demo was of some use. I think sharpening is one of those things that is best taught in person. I'd be glad to do a tutorial, but I'm not sure I can add anything to instructions already widely published. There's a good article in the current FWW that really nails the essentials.

OK, anyone local that is good with this available sometime for me to drop by, when you are already in the shop, for a quick lesson? I don't have any sharpening equipment. Guess I have more tools on my list, huh? :D

Brent, I get the PM option when I click on your name now. Not sure why I didn't see it before. I got to your profile page, but couldn't find a link to PMs. Might have bypassed the pop up window.

Jim you dont really need a whole lot of kit to do the sharpening. I use sandpaper and the scary sharp method.

Dont know if you have a grinder thats where you might need some assistance if the edge needs a fresh face ground.

I think you should return to sender under warranty and ask for the plane iron to be sharpened before being returned.:rofl::rofl:;)

Oh by the way this is another woodworking vortex.:rofl::rofl:

Jim you dont really need a whole lot of kit to do the sharpening. I use sandpaper and the scary sharp method.

Dont know if you have a grinder thats where you might need some assistance if the edge needs a fresh face ground.

I think you should return to sender under warranty and ask for the plane iron to be sharpened before being returned.:rofl::rofl:;)

Oh by the way this is another woodworking vortex.:rofl::rofl:

I have a grinder, but parts from this plane will never touch it!!!:rofl::rofl: Well, maybe if I get some decent wheels for it.
I've found some good tutorials online for the clean up part. When I get that done, I'll get some sandpaper and look up the scary sharp system and see if I can get it sharp and still have some metal left. :thumb:
Thanks guys. I've already told my wife when I showed the plane to her (after she said "What did YOU buy now????) that many have thousands of dollars tied up in their hand planes. I can't repeat the look I got. :eek: :D Jim.

happy tuning jim:) actually this is the best way to get a feel for one of these tools is to make it work form a rusty and dusty look. when your done your gonna understand them much better:):thumb:

Jim,
Here's a link to the scary sharp system and buy one of these

attachment.php

They're 13 bucks at woodcraft.

Attachments

• 03A21_230.jpg
    03A21_230.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 39
Don, I looked at the above tool while out getting a haircut today. Question to anyone who has used this. It has one wheel in the center bottom. So when using it, what keeps one from rotating side to side, thus not getting a straight cut on the blade? Do the sides of the tool rest on what ever type of grit you are using as well? If so, doesn't that sand it down as well? I'm guessing it doesn't rub on the outside edges of the tool, only the wheel rolls over the stone or sand paper. Is the trick learning how to keep pressure on the cutter, thus keeping it in balance? Woodcraft employees were cheerful, but not very helpful today. Jim.

Just used one a bit like it today Jim.

Basically, I think the way the blade contacts the stone keeps it level, kind of like a tripod. When I use it, I put most of my effort into making sure the blade is contacting the stone right. The jig and the wheel are just there to keep the angle the same.

Tricky bit is making sure the angle is the same every time. The latest FWW has an article on how to do that.