Wood duck calls

Lee Chadwick

I am sure most of you dont have a clue what a wood duck is, much less that they have their own distinct sounds. Just made these calls for a show I am doing next month. Assorted woods used- ambrosia maple, bloodwood, lignum vitae, walnut and poplar. The calls that are black and the bright red are the poplar. The black ones are similiar in appearance to african blackwood ( a trick I was shown recently, all done with a Sharpie)

Attachments

• wood ducks2 (600 x 254).jpg
    wood ducks2 (600 x 254).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 37
Those look great, Lee. :thumb: Do you make your own reeds, or buy them commercially? (Does anyone actually make their own reeds?)

Oh, and for those who don't know, here's a wood duck... :D

Wood Duck.jpg

Good-looking, but kinda tough to eat. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Nice calls. I do know what a wood duck is...they were not that common in CA, but were a prize catch.

Little known factoid about me - I used to duck/goose hunt every single weekend for 2-3 months a year, for 10+ years. When not doing that, was going for quail, chukar, dove, rabbits and the occasional deer.

Sad to say, most of those critters feed off my bird feeders now and I think they are my pets. :doh::doh::doh:

Wow Sharon .........Brent you got a keeper.:D:thumb: I know my wife was taught to shoot by her dad but no chance of getting her to do it today.:( What is it with you ladies you getting soft as you age?

Nice Duck calls there Lee, I have one in my nick nak cabinet in my office. :thumb:

Those look great, Lee. :thumb: Do you make your own reeds, or buy them commercially? (Does anyone actually make their own reeds?)

Oh, and for those who don't know, here's a wood duck... :D

View attachment 46530

Good-looking, but kinda tough to eat. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Do not make the reeds, I buy those from Hut. They also serve as a locator call for turkeys during the spring season

Nice calls. I do know what a wood duck is...they were not that common in CA, but were a prize catch.

Little known factoid about me - I used to duck/goose hunt every single weekend for 2-3 months a year, for 10+ years. When not doing that, was going for quail, chukar, dove, rabbits and the occasional deer.

Sad to say, most of those critters feed off my bird feeders now and I think they are my pets. :doh::doh::doh:

Fatten em up and they taste better that way:D

Nice calls. And, yes, I know what a wood duck is.
Do you sign your calls? I have much better luck selling mine when they are signed.

I sign some of the duck calls upon request, but since I generally use some pretty fancy woods, I hate to detract from the appearance in any way

Oh, I forgot, turkeys, too...did I tell you the time I thought the turkey was dead and he came to life in my Pathfinder?

I think we go soft when we purchase a house and find out how much work it is to maintain.

I still have my eye on that duck blind Don mentioned, especially since it comes with 14 guys :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sharon, that would not be funny if the turkey revived in your suv----I hope that you were not driving at the same time as the turkey were moving

Vaughn, the really serious call makers all make their own reeds. Those of us who buy them are definitely considered as 'lesser' individuals. Prices reflect that difference also. Mine are in the $35.00 to $55.00 range. Top, well known, makers are in the $100.00 and way up range.

Sharon, that would not be funny if the turkey revived in your suv----I hope that you were not driving at the same time as the turkey were moving

Ray, fortunately was not driving yet and I had chosen to ride shotgun. I had it at my feet and right before we were going to leave, it started flapping like crazy (I think more like a catfish after gutting). So all I could think of was to grab its neck till it stopped, which was only about 15-20 seconds. I agree if I was by myself and driving, it would not be good.

well lee, i too know there kind and and there whistling calls, have taken a few and now just watch them swim as i wait for a white tail so, dont under estimate this forum we are not the norm in many areas.. and like sharon said they eat good..and i can relate to the wake story sharon.. imagine a white tail doing that it was a road kill we thought but got up as we got it home and was in the process of getting it to the next operation.. we chased it and finally corralled it it was on thanksgiving day and quite the escapade.. we needed to get cleaned up after that one..tasted just fine once it quite running:)

Reminds me of the story I read a couple years back, a duck hunter shot a ringneck drake, didnt feel like cleaning it so he took it home and put it in the freezer. His wife went out to the freezer some time later the next day, opened the door and the duck was sitting up staring at her:huh: They wound up taking the duck to a vet who was able to rehabilitate it and later release it into a pond. My understanding was the wing could not be repaired, so he couldnt fly. But danged if he wasnt living high on the hog on a private pond after that:D

And for what its worth, I could make my own squealers for the calls, but the time isnt worth the effort as it is just as cheap to get them from Hut or a toy maunfacturer

Good looking collection of calls... My question is.... Are they what they're Quacked up to be?

Thanks for the posting and willing to accept the wise quacks that went with it.... :wave:

Last edited: