Fat Woodworkers

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So,

I seem to have noticed that a number of us wood workers seem to enjoy our food and beverages, maybe just a little too much.

Stu got things going with posting a 'weight ticker' on his sig. I noticed someone else do it, so I decided to as well.

I think with losing weight, one of the things that helps is a degree of 'accountability'. Certainly putting one of those tickers on your sig is a way to get that, cause if there's anything I know about the guys on this forum (picture police?) is that they will enforce that accountability.

So I decided to post mine, and I'd encourage anyone else who wants to lose weight to do it as well. It's a way we can support each other, and perhaps, help each other to get healthier.

No pressure mind you, but if you want to participate, feel free...

My 18 yr old son has lost 90 lbs in 7 months. Through going to the gym every night and doing lots of hiking and changed his diet no more junk food. Can't be more proud of him. He has set the example for me and as soon as my knee is healed I am dropping the extra 40 lbs I have.

Do they have a ticker for moving weight instead of losing it? I don't need to lose any, but I could stand to move about 10 pounds from my gut to the rest of my upper body. :rolleyes: Nothing a few hundred sit-ups a day wouldn't fix, but my back and sit-ups don't get along well at all.

I noticed that you and Stu both posted your weight loss efforts. I decided to do the same, but all it shows is the link. I must be doing something wrong. I have lost a total of 42 pounds. I started last year on this effort. I am not "dieting". We just changed how and what we ate. Big thing is, our large meal of the day is lunch and we only have a bowl of homemade soup and either a salad or a bowl of fruit. We (my wife and I) don't really deny ourselves any food groups, but use moderation in everything. Also, exercise is a big factor. But again, probably the major reason for our sucess is moving the large meal to lunch and eating much less at the normal dinner time.

Ask Toni, as he saw how we ate. Especially since we put him to work cooking!

Yep, Bill, my problem has always been portion size, that is what I'm finding now, I don't really stop eating things, I just eat a lot less of them. For example my lovely wife made some to die for cheese cake (yes she knows I'm on a diet!) so I had a very small piece, and I very much enjoyed it, but I did NOT have seconds.

It is not really a "Diet" it is more of a lifestyle change. :thumb:

PS on your ticker, that is the wrong one, there are two, get the one of the left that says....

-------------------------
BBcode:
(For forum signatures on most message boards)
-------------------------

Copy and paste the whole thing into your sig line in your Users CP.

Cheers!

I plan to join in, just haven't weight myself. I'm wanting to lose 40 - 60 lbs and my new work has a gym, so I started using it this week on M W & F's. My legs have somewhat recovered from the weights on Monday, they get their turn again tonight, but I'm having difficulty as I type this as even my fingers are sore from the upper body workout I did the other night. :)

I've been doing about 30 minutes of cardio, doing weight lifting, then another 15 minutes of cardio after, I may switch the cardio around tonight to help with the soreness.

Go for it guys and gal. Don't count me in. I am fat, know it, have tried a few times, get more back in the long run. So. I am fat. I quit smoking in '78, quit chewing in '90, quit all alcohol consumption in '94. Each item I quit, added a few pounds. As I told doc a couple of months ago, "I ain't quittin eatin!". We try to eat healthy, we raise our own beef and pork and don't use any growth hormones or unneeded antibiotics in the care of our animals. But I am done quittin! Good luck to all of you though!

Im not sure if most here are familiar or even know who Jimmy Breslin was.
He wrote a column for the ny post a while ago.
I was once listening to him talk about excercise and dieting.
He was speaking about how he smokes ( I believe it was cigars) and he drinks, and his buddy was always telling him to quit, its not healthy, he has to excercise, watch his diet, and so on.
And he never listened. and one day his health nut friend, was on his morning jog jogging over the 59th st bridge in manhattan, and got ran over by a truck.
that wasnt so healthy for him.

I am with Jonathan, I ain't going to quit. I do need to drop some 20 plus lbs I have acquired.

Side note: Picked up a beef today we had butchered. Filled the back of the Tahoe up. Plenty of good, no additive beef products.

OK...I need to loose some weight before my 20yr high school reunion in Sept. so I look better than I did at the 10yr. Might as well start now. I'll weigh myself tomorrow morning and start from there. :thumb::wave: