Basic Spindle and Round Post Questions

Hi all:

I know zero about turning and would just like to educate myself.

1. What's the difference between a spindle and a (round) post? At what size or diameter or length does a spindle become a post?

2. How long or thick of a post can a lathe handle? I'm thinking of say, a 4-poster bed with giant round posts that are 7 feet long. Are they all made in one piece?

3. Say you're working on something and want to use spindles or posts as a decorative feature but you're not a spinner. Can you buy spindles and round posts in any size or style or get a spinner to make you what you want?

Thanks all,
:thumb:

I'll give this a stab, but others may have different opinions...

1. What's the difference between a spindle and a (round) post? At what size or diameter or length does a spindle become a post?

No real difference in my opinion. To me, a spindle is any length or diameter that is held at both ends between centers (the pointy things at either end of the lathe) with the grain running perpendicular to the lathe bed. In lathespeak, that's turning something in spindle orientation. When a spindle is used for a porch, a bedpost, a fence, or something to tie your horse to, it becomes a post. :)

2. How long or thick of a post can a lathe handle? I'm thinking of say, a 4-poster bed with giant round posts that are 7 feet long. Are they all made
in one piece?

Some are made in multiple pieces, and some aren't. There are lathes that can literally hold a telephone pole, but they're not common. Your average Joe Hobbyist or Production Turner is probably not set up to turn 7 foot spindles, but some are. For example, I can set up my lathe with a 53 inch bed, but I saw pics the other day of a guy who'd added something like 8 feet to the bed of a lathe just like mine. I've also seen guys with small lathes that had multiple extensions added to the bed, and they could conceivably be stretched out to 7 or more feet.

As far as how thick you can go...I can turn 18 inch diameter pieces pretty easily. Other lathes can go even bigger. If my foggy memory serves correctly, Matt Hutchinson (a member here) has one that I think will do 30+ inch diameter pieces, and maybe 8 feet long. It's an old industrial lathe that he salvaged from the scrap metal heap. On the other hand, a mini lathe with a few bed extensions could handle turning bedposts.

3. Say you're working on something and want to use spindles or posts as a decorative feature but you're not a spinner. Can you buy spindles and round posts in any size or style or get a spinner to make you what you want?

Yes to both questions. There are companies that make and sell a wide variety of machine-made spindles, ranging from little bitty doll furniture stuff to huge porch posts. You're pretty much limited to the sizes and shapes they offer, though. There are also a number of professional and hobbyist turners who accept orders for custom spindle work. The machine-made stuff is typically less expensive, especially if it's imported, but the custom-made pieces are, well, custom. :)

Ahhh dipping the foot in the dark side of the vortex already? :rofl::thumb:

Vaughn has pretty much sumed it up. I was at asset recovery (government agency disposing of things that come from government agencies) a few years back and there was a lathe that came from some place that could turn 12 ft and 24 inches diameter.

I have the Nova DVRXP lathe and it has bed extensions so I can theoretically turn as long as I have extensions for and 16 inch diameter. There are lots of other lathes out there and once you step onto that slippery slope of turning you will not look at flat work the same again.

Cynthia asked: "At what size or diameter or length does a spindle become a post?"
I don't think this has been answered yet.
I believe the answer is more what the 'post' is to be used for. A post for a doll house might be only 2" long. Shelf separators 6,8 or ten inches long.
For much longer, keep in mind long slender turnings flex as they are turned and can be very 'whippy' on the lathe. You need center steady rests.
What do you have in mind?

Cynthia asked: "At what size or diameter or length does a spindle become a post?"
I don't think this has been answered yet.
I believe the answer is more what the 'post' is to be used for. A post for a doll house might be only 2" long. Shelf separators 6,8 or ten inches long.
For much longer, keep in mind long slender turnings flex as they are turned and can be very 'whippy' on the lathe. You need center steady rests.
What do you have in mind?

Ok Ok Spindles and posts are the vertical elements of railing. They can be made of wood or metal and are often used together in a railing. They support the handrail and are key to the architectural design of the railing. The term “Baluster” can be interchanged with spindle and generally refer to the same component used to make up the railing.

Now if your refering to the size then a post is 4x4 or 6x6 or bigger and spindles are 2x2 or smaller.

Another question. I'm praying this isn't too stupid. :eek:

You know how some woodworkers glue/laminate pieces together and make multi-colored cutting boards, for example......can you laminate different woods together and then put the whole thing on a lathe, and then come out with a turned post or bowl that's made of different woods (and colors)?

Oh, yeah, and that's a whole nuther skill set. I think we have a few experts in segmented turnings here. That's one thing I'd like to do once I clear about 2 dozen projects off my 2du list.... :thumb:

You know how some woodworkers glue/laminate pieces together and make multi-colored cutting boards, for example......can you laminate different woods together and then put the whole thing on a lathe, and then come out with a turned post or bowl that's made of different woods (and colors)?

Yep, it's relatively common. Here are a few examples...

For spindle turning:

Segmented blanks

Another spindle example (a pretty ugly one IMHO):

For bowl turning:

Lotsa examples

And one of the masters, Malcolm Tibbets (Have a look at the photo gallery on his site, although you might want to be sitting down when you do):

It's called segmented turning. :)

Yep, it's relatively common. Here are a few examples......
And one of the masters, Malcolm Tibbets (Have a look at the photo gallery on his site, although you might want to be sitting down when you do):

It's called segmented turning. :)

Wow that guy's stuff is unbelievable. Also, Vaughn I did watch those 2 youtube videos you suggested on turning to see the basics. Those chips really fly! I think I'd need a biohazard suit if I took that up. I think I prefer it where the world is flat. :D

Wow that guy's stuff is unbelievable. Also, Vaughn I did watch those 2 youtube videos you suggested on turning to see the basics. Those chips really fly! I think I'd need a biohazard suit if I took that up. I think I prefer it where the world is flat. :D

It's not that difficult Cynthia and actually it is lots of fun. It is a whole different area of wood working all together that allows more creativity and expands the world of wood working. One step at a time though. The segmented stuff takes lots of prep work. I have Malcolmb's book and I have yet to try out segmented turning. I am still working on the hollowing and bowl turning and box's. Like I said there is a good turning shop in the area where you are moving. We had our last wood turners guild meeting today it is amazing what people come up with from the same ideas.

We had a Richard Raffan challenge, This is his web site(http://www.richardraffan.com/) and we all had 4 profiles to do to get the basic designs and tool uses. Here is a pic of the results. Some segmented stuff in there too.

Attachments

• Guild pics and flowers 115 - Copy.JPG
    Guild pics and flowers 115 - Copy.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Guild pics and flowers 132.JPG
    Guild pics and flowers 132.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Guild pics and flowers 129.JPG
    Guild pics and flowers 129.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 15
...Also, Vaughn I did watch those 2 youtube videos you suggested on turning to see the basics. Those chips really fly! I think I'd need a biohazard suit if I took that up. I think I prefer it where the world is flat. :D

Those were mild. Turning dry wood produces mostly chips. Wet wood -- the fun stuff -- will shower you in curlies. Here's an example, from someone turning on a lathe just like mine. (And he's turning something about the same size as is typical for me...maybe a little smaller.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzZ2qVcF2Hc

Here again, I don't necessarily agree with all of his techniques (especially in Part 2 of the video), but it's a good indication of how the curlies can fly. It is a bit messy, but it's addictive. :D Just don't do it in the living room if you're expecting company, and it's all good. :thumb: :p

Yes..

I'll give this a stab, but others may have different opinions...
....with the grain running perpendicular to the lathe bed. ...

Vaughan, I would have said grain running parallel to the lathe bed for spindles, and perpendicular for many (but not all) bowls.

Out of fairness to a beginner, a spindle longer than a few feet takes a lot of skill and special equipment (steadies), so it is common to turn longer spindles in sections. And a lathe that is spec'd for 16 inch diameter (the center is 8 inches over the bed) can practically do only about 8-10 inches diameter, since the tool rest often rides between the spindle and the bed. Everything that has been said about what is possible is true, but what is practical and readily done is another question.

Vaughan, I would have said grain running parallel to the lathe bed for spindles, and perpendicular for many (but not all) bowls.

Good catch, Charlie. I got my parallel and perpendicular crossed up. :doh:

Out of fairness to a beginner, a spindle longer than a few feet takes a lot of skill and special equipment (steadies), so it is common to turn longer spindles in sections. And a lathe that is spec'd for 16 inch diameter (the center is 8 inches over the bed) can practically do only about 8-10 inches diameter, since the tool rest often rides between the spindle and the bed. Everything that has been said about what is possible is true, but what is practical and readily done is another question.

Also spot on advice. :thumb:

Hi all:

I know zero about turning and would just like to educate myself.

1. What's the difference between a spindle and a (round) post? At what size or diameter or length does a spindle become a post?All are spindle turning, If it is a post or not is a personal opinion. If I were to turn a porch post for a doll house, it may be only 8" long and 3/4" diameter but it would be a post, just the same, where the same turning might be used as a spindle to hold the arm rest on a chair.

2. How long or thick of a post can a lathe handle? I'm thinking of say, a 4-poster bed with giant round posts that are 7 feet long. Are they all made in one piece? Industrial sized lathes can turn bed posts (spindles) in one piece, but with the limits of the length of a lathe's bed,usually they are turned in multiple lengths. I turned a decorative post that was 9 ft. long on a 40" lathe, made three sections using a round mortice and tenon joint at a point where two beads met.

3. Say you're working on something and want to use spindles or posts as a decorative feature but you're not a spinner. Can you buy spindles and round posts in any size or style or get a spinner to make you what you want? Any size is limited to products available, VanDykes Restorer has a great selection of spindles/posts at different sizes and lengths. go on line and check them out.

Thanks all,
:thumb:

Hope this answers some of your thoughts.

Well.....

Yeah, so everyone pretty much summed it up. And just to clarify, yes, it's generally quite expensive to have a custom post made......YET.....exluding the fluted models, I could actually get within $40 (depending on price of materials) of the prices listed in Rob Keebles link. I think a lot of people don't realize how reasonable the cost of some kinds of custom work can be.

Just as a small correction, my lathe can handle 6.5 feet spindles comfortably, with a max swing of 23.5". It was bought from a professional woodturner, although it would have been totally cool to have rescued it. :D Also, I plan on making a bed extension so it can handle 10' or 12' spindles.

My Lathe

Anywho, back on subject....

I recently repaired some antique bed posts for someone. They were turned from single pieces of mahogany, and they were around 6' long. They were of very good quality, with hand carved fluting on one section, which spiraled in the opposite direction of it's opposing post (another section had straight fluting). That kind of work IS pricey.....like $450 each pricey. But a more basic design, like those in Rob's link, aren't as much as you might think.

Hutch

Last edited:
...Just as a small correction, my lathe can handle 6.5 feet spindles comfortably, with a max swing of 23.5". It was bought from a professional woodturner, although it would have been totally cool to have rescued it. :D Also, I plan on making a bed extension so it can handle 10' or 12' spindles.

My Lathe

C'mon, Hutch. My version of your story is way better: :D

Dude! I know this guy, and you should SEE his lathe! This thing will will turn 30, 40 inches in diameter easy, and probably about 20 or 30 feet in length. I think it's a 3 inch spindle with a MT6 taper. Bearings the size of coffee cans. It's got a 10hp motor. 4 phase, 5 phase, whatever it takes. You can turn totem poles on this thing. He uses a hardened and sharpened round nose shovel as a roughing gouge. The lathe's made of 4 tons of cast iron. And he painstakingly and lovingly restored it from the ground up, after finding it rusting in a farmer's field in Montana. It's HUGE!

He specializes in making pens and bottle stoppers. :rofl:

C'mon, Hutch. My version of your story is way better: :D

Dude! I know this guy, and you should SEE his lathe! This thing will will turn 30, 40 inches in diameter easy, and probably about 20 or 30 feet in length. I think it's a 3 inch spindle with a MT6 taper. Bearings the size of coffee cans. It's got a 10hp motor. 4 phase, 5 phase, whatever it takes. You can turn totem poles on this thing. He uses a hardened and sharpened round nose shovel as a roughing gouge. The lathe's made of 4 tons of cast iron. And he painstakingly and lovingly restored it from the ground up, after finding it rusting in a farmer's field in Montana. It's HUGE!

He specializes in making pens and bottle stoppers. :rofl:

BWWWWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaaaa :D :D :D :D :rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl: