Tool you wished you hadn't bought

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Got this idea from Vaughns post (http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showpost.php?p=224571&postcount=13) in another thread.

Are there any tools you've bought that you later found out you had no use for and really wished you hadn't bought it?

Mine is my Skil Wormdrive saw. When I first started woodworking, I thought I'd get the biggest baddest circular saw out there. So I got a big, heavy, wormdrive saw. All I really needed though for breaking down sheet goods was a small normal saw.

That saw has been sitting on my shelf for many years, and it wasn't until this year that I really found a use for it. Used it with a diamond blade for cutting flagstone. So, in a way, I guess I'm glad I had it, but if I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it.

...Are there any tools you've bought that you later found out you had no use for and really wished you hadn't bought it?...

Yes, I have a more than a few. All for various reasons, I no longer use. I have decided to get rid of those tools that I do not use. Less is better will be my philosopy. Otherwise I will end up like someone I know:rolleyes: who constantly has to build new shelves and reorganize his shop space.

Two tools that I will confess that I wished I had not bought, I bought for the same reason. I had been searching for some quicker method to flatten chisel and plane blade backs. In this search for the holy grail of easier flattening I bought a small Delta disk and belt stationary sander and the Worksharp 3000. They are both good products, but really are no substitute for old hand methods for this specific purpose. It is very easy to create more problems with power tools in this use. I have gone back to my hand methods such as a granite block with sandpaper, flattening plate with either silicane carbide or diamond paste and of course my waterstones. There is just no shortcut to this for me.

Anyone in my area interested in these tools? Bart? Bart? Bart?...Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Last edited:
Easy, the cheap air compressor that keeps breaking down and needs some TLC. I should have held out for a real air compressor :doh:

I have a lot of those, the cheaper versions of what I really wanted. The mistake we always make when we first start, but in all fairness you really don't know if the current interest will stick. My biggest mistake in this department...contractor table saw instead of a cabinet table saw.:doh:.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Porter-Cable Profile Sander.

I't probably P-C's biggest blunder on a tool. At least you can use the rubber 'profiles' for hand sanding.:eek:

Probably about 14 years ago I bought a Black & Decker belt sander on clearance at Kmart or Target for $6. I though I had a bargain. I never did get it to track well enough to be useful. It was way overpriced at $6.:(

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Porter-Cable Profile Sander.

I't probably P-C's biggest blunder on a tool. At least you can use the rubber 'profiles' for hand sanding.:eek:

I totally forgot about that one. I've got it... :doh:

I know sanders are supposed to vibrate, but use that for about 2 minutes and your hand is so numb you can't feel it!

A Ridgid 18v cordless drill. I'd say anything Ridgid, but I do like my oscillating sander...though I think I'm due for an experience like Glenn had with his. I'm trying not to sand stuff on that small roller of the belt sander attachment.

As a tool junkie i have way too many of these category tools. Its kinda uncanny though that one gets to a point and says these things are just taking up space.

So there is a big clean out coming this summer.:D

I have become much much more selective about what i purchase. Might have done that sooner had i discovered and joined the forum a long time ago.

Yes, I have a more than a few. All for various reasons, I no longer use. I have decided to get rid of those tools that I do not use. Less is better will be my philosopy. Otherwise I will end up like someone I know:rolleyes: who constantly has to build new shelves and reorganize his shop space.

Two tools that I will confess that I wished I had not bought, I bought for the same reason. I had been searching for some quicker method to flatten chisel and plane blade backs. In this search for the holy grail of easier flattening I bought a small Delta disk and belt stationary sander and the Worksharp 3000. They are both good products, but really are no substitute for old hand methods for this specific purpose. It is very easy to create more problems with power tools in this use. I have gone back to my hand methods such as a granite block with sandpaper, flattening plate with either silicane carbide or diamond paste and of course my waterstones. There is just no shortcut to this for me.

Anyone in my area interested in these tools? Bart? Bart? Bart?...Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Why would I want your mistakes I can make enough of my own.:eek::):D:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::doh::dunno:

Last edited:
Let's see...

A taper jig - had to have it...never used it
A dovetail jig - still keeping it, since someday it'll come in handy
A very cheap Chinese router from eBay that was so crude, I've never risked using it. What did I expect for $15.00? :doh:
A few specialized turning tools that didn't make things any easier than using regular bowl gouges.
An adjustable t-square thing that's no more accurate than freehand drawing by eye.

Those are a few that immediately come to mind. :eek:

http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com/61-363-electric-planers/black-and-decker-planer-619871.aspx

a former friend gave me a brand new one of these. I never used, in fact I think I gave it back to him or it is stuck way way way in back of a bunch of other stuff.

good news is that I didn't pay for it.

I have one of these hand held planers, 3 inches or so, and I never found use for it until I started purchasing large quantities of wood and they were all mixed. If Im not sure if a rough piece is white oak or ash, I set that little electric hand plane to 1/64 or something, and just take a bit to see the wood and grain underneath. Its quick and very easy, other wise I have to skp plane with the hand plane and secure the board down, take a few passes, much more time consuming.

Wish I could think of one. Each one I bought served it's purpose at the time.

My worm drive skill saw I used as my first tablesaw 30 some years ago and I won't give that thing up for nothing.I still use my power planer and biscuit joiner. I still love my ridgid ts 3650 tablesaw and have no plans to get rid of that or upgrade it. And yes I work on a 5 hp delta cabinet saw at work along with a 5 hp ICS sawstop and still love my ridgid more!!! Love my pipe clamps and don't understand all the hype about the Bessy's. We have the bessy's at work and they are a pain in the rear to me. Glad I got this job when I did cause I was ready to pull the trigger on them. I'll stick with my pipe and bar clamps

I think loml has really helped me to stop and think about the tools I want to buy so it helps me avoid those mistakes.