Tool you wished you hadn't bought

I like my pipe clamps too. Almost all my tools have been purchased on sale, used or are Grizzly or inherited from my Dad. The only tool I have that I haven't use yet is my DeWalt 621 router that I purchased as a re-manufactured tool for $100 less than new. I have all the CPO re-manufactured tool web sites in my bookmarks. But I find it's getting harder & harder to find something I need, accept wood.

I just keep on realizing the value of these posts. Had i come across this info before starting out it would have had a huge impact on my purchases. So this has got to be good info for a newbie to stop and smell the roses and realize what a whole bunch of guys are saying about their tool purchases.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

A little clarification is in order. I did buy these tools all Crapsman 1997 model contractors saw{ arbor was undersized about 3/16" out from the flange to the end not possible to use a stacked dado on it} (replaced by a 1940's Unisaw) & a small drill-press spindle sander{sander part broke} (replaced by a Grizzly floor model Radial Drill-press & Jet bench top spindle sander) & a 12" CMS (the arbor always seemed to move a few thousands to the left when it started up it wasn't the blade I have the same blade on my Hitachi now} (replaced by a Hitachi SCMS) I still have a Craftsman 6" jointer works fine. I also have in storage my Dad's 1950's Craftsman contractors saw & Jointer anniversary gold addition as well as 1960's 10" & 12 " RAS's So yes I've had some tools I shouldn't have purchased & I gave them away to someone that will get a lot of use out of them for small household jobs.

My CMS. It has set on its MSUV behind the jointer and under the wall mounted lumber rack for a couple years since its last use. It was a couple years since that use too. It was a gift and I really wanted one (all woodworkers need one right?) so I keep it. I really would like that shop space back though :). I'll be glad to have it when I trimout the living room . . . maybe.

My CMS. It has set on its MSUV behind the jointer and under the wall mounted lumber rack for a couple years since its last use. It was a couple years since that use too. It was a gift and I really wanted one (all woodworkers need one right?) so I keep it. I really would like that shop space back though :). I'll be glad to have it when I trimout the living room . . . maybe.

So Glenn what do you use to miter long material? Or any material for that matter?

Wish I could think of one. Each one I bought served it's purpose at the time.

That is pretty much the same with me. There are lots of things I'd like the have better and some that I have never used but if I hadn't got them I would still be wanting them. I look at tools as tools. They aren't part of me, they don't define me they let me do what I want or need to do.(Or think I do.)

I try and take care of them, I don't abuse them but I use them for whatever I need them for which many call abuse. As I have said I don't worry about using wood in my metal lathe I just clean it up when done.

I love tools but only care that they let me get the job done. Some of the more expensive have been the biggest let down....

I have over bought and I have under bought but I don't think I have any that I really regret buying...
Garry

I have one of these hand held planers, 3 inches or so, and I never found use for it until I started purchasing large quantities of wood and they were all mixed. If Im not sure if a rough piece is white oak or ash, I set that little electric hand plane to 1/64 or something, and just take a bit to see the wood and grain underneath. Its quick and very easy, other wise I have to skp plane with the hand plane and secure the board down, take a few passes, much more time consuming.

ah ha!!! so there is a purpose for this "tool".

Actually, I used one for making the mast on my sailing dingy. But truth be told, a regular plane would have worked just fine....

I have one of these hand held planers, 3 inches or so, and I never found use for it until I started purchasing large quantities of wood and they were all mixed. If Im not sure if a rough piece is white oak or ash, I set that little electric hand plane to 1/64 or something, and just take a bit to see the wood and grain underneath. Its quick and very easy, other wise I have to skp plane with the hand plane and secure the board down, take a few passes, much more time consuming.

I have a Bosch power planer and have used it for mass wood removal, but I've never figured out how to plane a flat surface with it. I bought it to trim the bottom of a door, knowing full well that a handsaw would do the job. (I just wanted the new tool, and this was before I got bitten by the woodworking bug.) :rolleyes: These days about all I use it for is making a flat spot on a log to mount a faceplate for turning. And I can do that job with a chisel and mallet in about the same length of time. ;)

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Porter-Cable Profile Sander.

I't probably P-C's biggest blunder on a tool. At least you can use the rubber 'profiles' for hand sanding.:eek:

Forgot all about it. I would not say Porta Cable made a big blunder, it sounds like a lot of us bought the tool. Had to laugh about you using the profiles for hand sanding, as I do the same thing. I also noticed that woodcraft or rockler now sells what looks like the same profiles for hand sanding. Too funny.