Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs Black out

Talking Signs Black out

I just started making signs and I was wondering what is the best way to get the letters black (or other color) with out a lot of clean up work.

Thank Bill

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Bill could you elaborate a little, are you routing the letter into a solid board or are you making individual letters ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I was thinking just spray paint them and run them through the planer...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I have purchased (not made) a couple from vendors at markets and such. First they carve the sign then spray the whole thing with fast dry paint. Then they use a belt sander with vacuum dust collector to sand the surface. This leaves the letters black but the rest natural wood color. Methinks that might be the only practical way to do it.
    Sign shown is about 40 years old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laughery sign.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've done them as described above, spray the lettering, and either sand the surface or paint with contrasting paint using firm foam roller in several coats with just enough paint as not to drip into the lettering. I've had better luck with sanding even if painting with a contrasting color as it doesn't take as many coats to cover the black overspray.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Good info here. Spray then belt sand.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Thanks, I am routering into solid wood. I'm not going over about a 1/16 deep so I would need to be careful with a belt sander.

I tried spraying with flat black paint but I had to sand quite a bit to get the paint off a plywood practice board, so I was Leary of spraying a nice price of hardwood.

My friend used to make signs out of Cedar for outside signs, That's too is what I want to do as well. He used a spray dye to color in the lettering. I guess I might look for some of that.

I wanted to use pine mostly because of cost. I going over to the finishing forum to see what would be good to weather proof them.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Bill

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Bill,
    For weather proofing if you want somwething clear use Thompsons water seal.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Seal it, route it, paint it, sand it
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Seal it, route it, paint it, sand it
    This probably makes good sense, but seal it all, since you'll have some grain stand up within the lettering. Sealing would keep the paint from soaking in on the areas you need to be clear a light sanding of the lettering would get rid of the grain that is standing up.

Would have to use compatible products though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault